Wednesday 9 October 2013

Masters of Sex: Thoughts on the first episode.

Three things had drawn me into watching Masters of Sex tonight: Michael Sheen, Lizzy Caplan and the psychology of sexuality.

I have a strange thing for Michael Sheen ever since I saw him in the Underworld movies and as a Mean Girls fan I'm a Lizzy Caplan fan too.
This is not a show for the sexually squeamish. I have to admit I feel a little awkward any time a sex scene comes on and I've seen every episode of Game of Thrones.

Last night I sat down to watch the première episode. Lizzy Caplan gives a very candid, real performance of Virginia Johnson. She comes across as feisty and headstrong as she pursues opportunities and interests despite the limitations set for women at the time. I love how she's not taking up this job role or pursuing a degree to support her children, it's because she wants to. She's a developed character with real goals and wants; she's the kind of character television needs more of. Michael Sheen's portrayal of William H. Masters, a doctor interested in the biological aspects of sex, is dealing with infertility within his marriage as he and his wife continue trying to conceive a baby thus creating instant drama and sympathy for their characters despite the apparent discord between them. Knowing all we know about sex nowadays it is interesting to watch a show about experimentation and exploration into how the body responds to sex and how conception occurs. Let's be honest here: sex sells. Because of this reason I've no doubt that this show will be successful. Sex is the bread and butter of television these days. It's everywhere. It's less and less censored with every new show and we're getting used to it. This was the perfect time to introduce a show like Masters of Sex.

The show seems to be allowing people, no - telling them, to forget the taboo feelings we've been taught to associate with sex by reminding us that it's biology, it's in our nature. It manages to do so in a rather charming, candid and, at times, humorous manner. I enjoyed the first episode and intend to watch the next one.

This show is very promising and I'll continue to watch. I'm already rooting for Virginia and can't wait to see the narrative unfold further.

No comments:

Post a Comment