Sunday 27 October 2013

31 Horror Films in 31 Days Challenge, Film Sixteen: 28 Weeks Later (2007)

This is yet another blog-along post where I'll be blogging along as I watch another horror film as part of the 31 Horror Films in 31 Days challenge. 
 Warning: Since I'm blogging my thoughts whilst watching the film THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.

These are raw blog posts. I start and I write until I finish without any editing afterwards. I just post the raw thoughts from the film as they occur. I enter this film with absolutely no prior knowledge. Enjoy, 

This film is, of course, the sequel to 28 Days Later which I have seen but not for some time. 

I like this idea of trying to maintain an image of domesticity in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. What a nice yet tragic start to the film...

In a zombie apocalypse I'd raid every supermarket and create a huge stockpile and feast for years. 

Ok, Don closed the door. I think we all react in fear and our survival instinct kicks in.  Would I risk my life to save someone I just met? I'm not sure... I would for someone I loved. For a Scot Robert Carlyle runs well for a man from my homeland where deep fried Mars Bars are their own food group. 

I don't remember the zombies turning this fast in 28 Days Later. Maybe I just watch too many zombie films

OK, they mentioned that their kids had been sent abroad, yes? What if the kids took a strain of the infection with them and set the rage virus loose elsewhere. 

Wait, is that Hawkeye? IT'S TOTALLY HAWKEYE.

Ok, officially interested in the differing iris colours and how that's going to tie into the plot.

"Welcome back to Britain": worst homecoming ever. 

Sneaking out and being rebellious teens is a pretty shit idea when there are ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE. For once could teens in films just obey the rules? Kids are stupid. 

The church they just ran past looked like the church from the Doctor Who episode where Rose tried to save her Dad.

So these kids risked their lives to go to their old house to grab some of their old clothes? Hmm... to be fair I'd really miss my clothes if I were living in quarantine. If I have to live through a zombie apocalypse I want my glamorous kimonos and comfy pyjama bottoms. 

So is their Mum a weird zombie-human hybrid? 

Is the army/helicopter dude the actor who played Mercutio in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet? I looked it up. It is. Awesome. I'm awesome at this game.

"I love you Don" - No, if I were her I'd be saying "You left me to die, you arse!"

Eww! Spit strain close up!

Oops. Don just ate the cure. Oh... horrible.  Ew, ew, ew... This character, human or zombie, really doesn't like his wife. 

In a zombie apocalypse, just like when there is a fire in the building, learn to close the damn doors for your own protection.


Who stands perfectly still when a zombie is running at them? Silly kids.

Possible product placement. Andy is now in some sort of warehouse and there are loads of bottles of Coke by the looks of things. I'd take the opportunity to drink some. Who knows when you'll next have nourishment? I'd take any nourishment I could get and take some for the road if I could carry them. 

Hawkeye to the rescue!

My cat doesn't look impressed with this film. 

You're not at a good place on your relationship if you don't have a zombie survival plan. Hmm... I may make a post on that for the blog and for HuffPost. Watch this space...

What I love most about these films is the shots of an empty London because anyone who has ever been to London knows how busy it is. It's a city that never sleeps therefore seeing it so empty is truly kind of shocking. 

I can't ever watch zombie films without thinking of all the people who works as extras. I mean they get paid to be covered in fake blood and run around screaming. Isn't that the kind of job we all wish we had? It seems like a job where you could really vent your frustrations. 

Of course... an abandoned funfair is exactly the place you want to end up in during a zombie apocalypse.

If I was covered in zombie blood I'd want to wash it off of me asap. 

I'm pretty sure someone gave me the DVD boxset of 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later as a birthday present 6 years back. My Dad also got me the Final Destination boxset for Christmas. Nothing says "time to celebrate" like gritty, death-filled horror. 

Awh. Good guy Hawkeye. 

The actress playing Tammy reminds me of Sophie Turner who plays Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones. She also looks like the actress who plays Foxface in The Hunger Games. 

Again, the moral of the story seems to be that kids mess things up in a zombie apocalypse and have now spread the Rage virus to the rest of Europe. If you'd just stayed in your nice penthouse apartment with your family everything would've been fine. Sneaking out of a safe quarantine is not only one of the stupidest things you could do in the situation, but it is also one of the stupidest things I've seen in a movie EVER.

I want to know the correlation between Rage virus immunity and different coloured eyes.

Decent zombie flick. I loved the shots of empty London. It paints an incredibly haunting portrait of a post-apocalyptic city and illustrates how quickly a city can become a breeding ground for chaos. It's one of the better zombie films I've seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment