Thursday 31 October 2013

31 Horror Films in 31 Days Challenge: Film Twenty Seven: The Children (2008)

You know the drill by now, guys. I'll be blogging along with the film as I watch it. This is a raw blog so I just write out thoughts and feelings as they come and publish them unedited to save time. WARNING: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.

Yeah! Film 27! We're getting close guys.
I've now learned just how many horror films are up for free on YouTube. Wow. How do these not get taken down by YouTube asap? They don't even seem to have the setting where you have to confirm you're over 18 to watch them.

This is one of those films I'd always see in the HMV Horror section.

The lead young female character looks like a pre-teen Avril Lavigne. FILLED WITH ANGST BENEATH ALL THAT EYELINER.

Creepy little kid walking into a room full of jubilant adults... reminds me of the opening scene of The Exorcist.

OH GOD NO.
IF SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS TO THE CAT.

Again. Teens. Just do what you're told. It's for the best.

I can't watch something with a creepy child in a red raincoat without thinking of the film Don't Look Now.

Cat doors: perfect for setting a curfew for your children whilst maintaining safety. Why don't we market this? Oh yes...

What's with all the other children? I guess I kinda would like to know exactly what it was that caused all of this to happen but I also like that we don't know... I'm unsure where I stand on the matter.

I like endings like this where the protagonists escape but there's still that looming threat so you're not entirely sure what happens next. Brilliant.

The film has good pacing and taps into basic human anxieties, reminding us that children can totally own a horror film. It doesn't show you too much. It doesn't have to show you the moments of impact. It doesn't have to rely on every shocking moment. It shows you just enough to make you feel queasy. There are some really excellent but subtle shots like the lips on snow and then blood spreading through snow turning it from white to red. I liked the more subtle moments of this film. It felt more fresh and less formulaic than most horror films.

No comments:

Post a Comment