Saturday 12 October 2013

31 Horror Films in 31 Days Challenge, Film Eleven: Truth Or Dare / Truth Or Die (2012)

This is yet another blog-along post where I'll be blogging along as I watch another horror film as part of the 31 Horror Films in 31 Days challenge. Warning: Since I'm blogging my thoughts whilst watching the film THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.

These are raw blog posts. I start and I write until I finish without any editing afterwards. I just post the raw thoughts from the film as they occur. I enter this film with absolutely no prior knowledge. Enjoy, 

Alright. Time to catch up with the challenge. Buffy last night really didn't impress me. This film, although given a 15 rating, boasts all the warnings at the start: sexual scenes, mature themes, violence, flashing images. The works! Good old British film making. 

Oh, apparently this film was renamed "Truth Or Die", possibly due to conflict from a previous film called Truth Or Dare. 

Awh, don't pick on the cute but awkward guy in the corduroy suit. 

Spiffing prolonged shots of the British countryside here, Just what every film needs.

As soon as a film starts to set up a misogynistic character I'm waiting for something bad to happen to put them in their place.

Oh come on. Nothing good ever comes of young and fairly attractive people heading to a cabin or holiday house in the middle of nowhere. Ever. If someone invites you to a creepy old house or cabin, my dear reader, turn them down and take two weeks in Bora Bora instead.

Oh look, a shameless excuse to get two women to kiss thus perpetuating the fetishisation of sapphic relations. 

So far it's making for a really interesting film. It's not just your masked killer out for revenge, it's a sinister film about the horror that stems from one man and his grief. 

Oh goody, casual homophobia. 

This is a flawed film but it has certain merits. I liked the lack of music. Some horror films put in so much music and sound effects to air the events but this film chose to not rely on that to make things seem more real, in a way. 

"We were forged in the same fire"
You're brothers, not The One Ring...


Honestly. Luke. The gun is on the floor. Apparently so is Gemma, she's really not good at this. If I were Luke I'd have used this moment to run whilst handsome killer man is busy being handsome... and killing. 

Did he just say "me or the fag?"
Jeez. 


Oh God, no. Don't put the gun down/ If there's someone who means to harm you, never put the gun down. 

Shoot him in the head.

My Mum just came in and, at this point in the film, it's a a bloody mess.
She asks me "what film are you watching?"
"Truth or Dare," I said "the dare is they all kill each other!"
My mother isn't the best with horror movies. She found Van Helsing scary.


Oh wow. This film got even more homophobic right at the end. It's a shame. Without it, this was a decent enough horror flick.

And again, just to be certain that those who want to kill you are dead, shoot them. Always shoot them. 

So a rough synopsis is that, at a party, a group of friends celebrate the end of their university term. An awkward young corduroy wearing lad is shot down by the girl of his dreams and bullied through a game of truth or dare. Later the teens are invited to a party of young corduroy wearing boy and soon things get pretty dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment