Monday 28 October 2013

31 Horror Films in 31 Days Challenge: Film Twenty One: Train (2008)

This is yet another blog-along post where I'll be blogging along as I watch another horror film as part of the 31 Horror Films in 31 Days challenge. 
 Warning: Since I'm blogging my thoughts whilst watching the film THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.

These are raw blog posts. I start and I write until I finish without any editing afterwards. I just post the raw thoughts from the film as they occur. I enter this film with absolutely no prior knowledge. Enjoy, 


Film twenty one. Just ten more films to go and three more days to do it! I think I might do this, guys!

OK so this film is, apparently, about a group of young Americans who are travelling around Europe. On their travels they board a dubious-looking train that takes them on a Hellish ride with some rather questionable characters.


Whilst editing the tags/labels section I first accidentally wrote "Thora Birch" as "Thora Bitch"
I just thought you'd like to know that...


This film has a better start than The Dark Lurking. It sets up some suspense even though it's a bit too gory for my liking. I suppose that you could argue that it really sets the tone and takes you out of your comfort zone from the very start. I didn't like how the last film began totally in media res without any character construction or explanation of what on Earth was going on.

Uh oh. Is this film gonna be like 28 Weeks Later in that bad things happen because some teens want to break the rules and stretch their legs? How often, in horror films, do the good kids who obey the rules and remain concious of possible terror suffer any negative consequences of their actions? I'm just saying, kids, have an early night and study hard if you find yourself surrounded by strange events. It seems like the way to go...

How creepy. A door to my left just slowly creaked open. It's fairly common for this to happen in my house. It's an old, heavy door so it often just slowly swings open but this occurrence is always particularly unwelcome whilst I'm watching horror films in the early hours of the morning.

I've not really written much as I've been trying to put together data for the super scary blog data collection project about race and gender in horror films. What I can say about this film is that it's totally disgusting. The basic premise is that a group of American tourists are tricked onto a train where they unwillingly become organ donors for fellow passengers in need of organs and are picked off one by one in an increasingly gross manner. 

Ahh! Sheldon just got the Theon Greyjoy treatment if you know what I mean...

Again, we've not really been made to care for any of the characters. I don't need overly sentimental scriptwriting, all I ask is for characters that appear human, the kind of people you want to live because they just seem like really nice, cool individuals. In this film I don't think we've been given the opportunity.

This really isn't the kind of film I'd recommend as I didn't enjoy it. It was just a big ol' gut fest with lashings of fake blood aiming to make you unconsciously wrap your arms around your body in a feeble effort to protect yourself because watching that much gore on screen is  uncomfortable viewing. Really this film is just senseless violence and I cannot recommend it. I'd actually suggest you don't watch it... Especially if you want to go inter-railing any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment