Sunday 17 March 2013

Post-Dissertation Writing

  After my dissertation is done I'm looking forward to getting back into creative writing. I've been an aspiring writer for some time now. Before coming to university my main problem was that I had ideas of a setting, characters and a basic plot but I never quite knew where I was going. I was holding the strings of several balloons that were so high and so far away I couldn't see them and was left there standing on the ground clueless.

I now have about two or three novels and I know where they start and I know where they end. I can't wait to start writing them so that I can get a little bit closer to my dream of being a published writer. Over the next few months I'll be putting together a chapbook of three short stories of mine and a short book of poetry and submitting them to a local competition. If they 'win' then they will be published. ISBN number and everything.

My aim is to get one finished by the end of the year. I'm looking forward to sitting down and drawing up a plan of how many words I'll write each month, drawing a mind map of the plot and really working towards it.
Like a painting, I rarely reveal the contents of a story until it's finished so you'll have to be patient and pray it gets published if you ever want to read it.

2 comments:

  1. If it does get published, what will the author's name be for us to look by. I'm new to this blog so if this is obvious, I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - thanks for responding!
      It'll be under the name 'Gabrielle Leimon'
      I aim to get a novel, a collection of short stories and a collection of poetry all completed by the end of the year.

      I see you have a creative writing blog too - I shall check it out. Are you in figment.com?

      Please, please, please feel free to favourite/bookmark this blog and come back.
      I reply to comments, I update regularly.

      Delete