Sunday 31 March 2013

Game of Thrones: Season 3 Is Coming



(Note to readers: I've tried to keep this post pretty much spoiler free, so do not fret.)

After another wait that seemed as long as a Westerosi Winter, Game of Thrones is returning to our screens. I myself am currently rewatching Season Two before the showing of the premiere on Sky Atlantic tomorrow night. With an army of devoted fans Game of Thrones is said to be the most illegally downloaded show ever. I personally don't watch much television but Game of Thrones is the kind of show I travel across the country for so that I can watch the season premiere as it is on air (yes, I've done this the past two years)

What is it about Game of Thrones that has made it so popular? Many would point the finger and proclaim that the popularity of such a show lies in HBO and their willingness to bring forth sexual content to our screens. Though I'm sure this is an aspect of the show that many enjoy however I believe that the interest lies in the complexity of this show. Never before have I come across a show that has taken on such vast and complex content and explored it whilst remaining so faithful to the books on which they are based. This is a show that deals with very human emotions and situations to which we can relate but on the outskirts things beyond our mortal comprehension threaten the peace. White walkers, dragons, dark magic. It quickly bridges that gap between the reality we know and the magic of George R.R Martin's world. Game of Thrones is the kinky cousin of Lord of the Rings bringing a new wave of people into the realm of fantasy.  The scripts for the show remain captivating and complex. One could argue that the show demands a level of intelligence to keep up with the vastness of Westeros and characters, many of whom have similar names, and this therefore separates the wheat from the chaff in terms of nerdkind.


To other fans of the books, I must say that I have awaited this season with excitement and dread. I'm looking forward to the Red Wedding, I'm looking forward to The Boltons, I'm looking forward to MORE TYRION. I'm not sure if it'll happen but one character I'd like to see this season is Patchface. If we're getting Shireen Baratheon, I want to see Patchface because this is a character that when reading the books captured my imagination instantly.
I can personally say that this is my favourite show of all time. Never before has a television series captivated me so. Filmed over multiple locations with a rotating cast of well crafted characters I would go so far as to say that this show is an ambitious step in television history.                                                                                            
                                                                                                           

The show captures intriguing perspectives on the widespread impact of warfare and family ties. Even the villains can be sympathised with.
If you've not watched it, or if you were somewhat put off by all that sex in the first episode (like me - God was I really so prudish? Thanks go to my friends Taj and Ryan for simply telling me to watch the second episode), persevere and keep watching because you may be ruining a fantastic show for yourself.



Also my mother has informed me that when she was younger she was in a theatre company with John Stahl who plays Rickard Karstark in Game of Thrones. Does this mean my mother holds allegiance with House Stark?







Episode One of Season 3 starts in the UK tonight at 9pm on Sky Atlantic.
Do you watch Game of Thrones?
Who is your favourite character?
Which house would you pledge your allegiance to?

Links:
Click here to create your very own house sigil

No comments:

Post a Comment