Friday 22 March 2013

John Green, NaNoWriMo

So I just watched John Green's video about NaNoWriMo (link at the bottom of this article) and it got me thinking about my own writing challenge ahead. For those of you who don't know about John Green you're probably living under a rock - his recent book The Fault in our Stars has been on bestsellers lists for weeks now, he recently did a sold out UK book signing.
Sold out BOOK SIGNING? How often do you know of book signings selling out? This man is the real deal. I have read The Fault in Our Stars and it is a sweet, humble tale with a wonderful narrative voice. I own three (until I gave one to my sister) copies of TFIOS signed by John Green plus a posted signed by him. He's a wonderfully funny guy, as is his brother Hank Green. Links below.

So anyway in John Green's video about NaNoWriMo he discusses how he feels that it is impossible to write a decent novel of around 50,000 words in just a month. I have to say that I agree with this. He's right. Everything he says about drafting and crafting work is true. Despite this he still decided to take part



So this year I will be taking part in NaNoWriMo for the first time however, as I've mentioned in previous post, I will be somewhat cheating. My plan is to start writing about now because.... well...because I know myself and it takes ridiculous amounts of time for me to do, well, anything. That said I feel really positive about myself as a writer and where I'm going from this point onward. If you asked me a year ago if I could write 50,000 words I'd probably think "No, of course not. I'd be distracted by something shiny or not how to end a novel" however I've just written a dissertation of around 11,000 words. All I have to do is write, like, five dissertations and I'm there. Also I know where my novel is going and I have almost all year to finish it.

I would encourage you all to try this. If you've never written before it's an incredibly curative way to spend time. If you do write, please get into contact with me as I'd love to discuss the writing process and your work with you.

So with that said it's time to make a mug of green tea and start tapping away at this old keyboard for a while.


Hank Green on Twitter
John Green on Twitter
Vlogbrothers (John and Hank Green on YouTube)

No comments:

Post a Comment