Monday 25 March 2013

Chick Flick Faves: Legally Blonde



I'm not anything near the typical chick flick fan.
In fact I usually loathe them for their ridiculous nature of repackaging and selling the same plot but in different wrapping. I tend to remain in my comfort zone of glorious nerdiness.

That said, there are a few 'chick flicks' that I enjoy and the main one that comes to mind is Legally Blonde.

For those who don't know the plot of Legally Blonde it follows blonde sorority girl Elle Woods. Elle is the typical party-loving, cutesie young woman. When her boyfriend leaves her she is crushed. Not too long after she realises that the reason he left her was because he was set for Harvard and an ambitious law career. So to win him back she aims to get into Harvard to prove that she is the smart kind of woman he wants.


After a lot of intense studying she gets into Harvard, only to turn up at the university and find that her ex boyfriend she's been seeking the attention of is now engaged to a childhood friend.

The reason why I feel I like this film so much is that it has an inspirational message behind it. Though Elle initially aims to get into Harvard to win back her ex boyfriend she proves to herself in this process that she is an intelligent, confident young woman that doesn't need that ex boyfriend of hers.
This film is a positive, feel good film about pushing yourself to achieve something that you never thought you could do. I must admit that it's one of the things that inspired me to consider a law degree when I was younger. That said after three days filing out dull paperwork I realised that only a small percent of the world of litigation is criminal law, a lot of it is incredibly dull. That said I got to authorise the names and paperwork of several boats. Hopefully some man is sat out at sea on The Poseidon because of me.

It's a film that promotes a strong-willed, determined outlook on life and the drive to achieve what you want to reach your goals, a message we can all do with every now and then.

Also it really made me want a chihuahua.


No comments:

Post a Comment