Monday 18 March 2013

"I'm just going to the theatahhhh"

My father is a thespian.
Or a lesbian.
Either one.

I'm currently waiting on a photo of my father from my sister. He's in a production of Calendar Girls and he plays John, the husband of the main protagonist's best friend. His character gets cancer and dies within the first act. My father, wanting his performance to be authentic, will be shaving off all his hair and his moustache to look more like someone who has gone through chemotherapy.
Now I know for some it will be quite emotional. My mother has lost loved ones to cancer, my grandmother/father's mother has had cancer, so I can understand that seeing my father without hair for the first time and dying on stage will be distressing.

However...
I have the side of my head shaved. It's something I did myself over the bathroom sink ages ago. As someone who doesn't like to subscribe to the rigidity of 'gender limitations' I appreciate almost representing my gender identity with my hair: long on one side, bald on the other. It represents the marriage of conventional masculinity and typical femininity. But when my father first saw my shaved side he said "Your head looks like a dog's ass"


But now the tables have turned, father, and when I see your freshly shaved noggin whose head is going to look like a dog's ass now, huh?

Revenge, dear blog-ghosts, is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment