Friday 8 November 2013

Witches of East End: First Thoughts


Nope, that wasn't a Witches of Eastwick typo, this is a new show about a family of four brunette witches (does it sound similar to another show we've seen before?)

I grew up as a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I've watched shows like Hex and Charmed. I'm forever happy to watch anything with a supernatural feel that also embraces contemporary urban settings. Tonight, out of curiosity, I put on The Witches of East End and I can safely say that I didn't really enjoy the first episode.

This show seems far too contrived and convenient. Who talks to themselves in the mirror of a public bathroom? Who rather hard-handedly makes the plot painfully obvious so that the writer doesn't have to do it? The acting and script seems rather camp whilst trying to be taken seriously. That awkward fourth wall break with the newly pregnant friend saying that if this were a film this is where the girl would know she was magical... it just becomes a little too obvious as if the scriptwriter lacked the talent and finesse to actually craft something credible. I can't say that I'm interested in it enough to check out the second episode but I may out of morbid curiosity. The show has wasted no time in establishing a love triangle.

If you're someone who really enjoys Twilight, Charmed or The Vampire Diaries then maybe you'll appreciate this show but in all honesty I wasn't wowed. It's a modern supernatural show with only moderate horror and lashings of lusty feelings projected by Freya, as played by Jenna Dewan Tatum. I don't think that this was the most successful first episode. I don't care enough about the characters yet to really feel for how the episode ended where the mother is taken into custody. Maybe I'll watch episode two, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment