Monday 25 November 2013

Film Review + Response: Gravity (2013)

So today I managed to experience something I'd only previously dreamed of: I got to watch a movie with no one else in the cinema... Yes guys, I was living the dream. I've wanted a cinematic experience like this for some time, just me in that dark room and the big screen, must my heart and mind open to that narrative like it's something intimate just for me. I didn't want to put up with other people chatting and gasping or rustling with sweet wrappers. I'd wanted to see this film for a long time and I appreciated the intimacy of the viewing.

...And what better movie for this special occasion than Gravity? I sat in the middle of the empty cinema and never before have I sat watching a film and sorta feared for my life whilst feeling a blend of claustrophobia and fear of wide open spaces simultaneously...


What I like about this film is that I entered with very little knowledge of the content. The trailers I'd seen hadn't given away too much. This film didn't feel too formulaic in structure either. The overwhelming sense of peril had me sat in the audience experiencing everything Bullock's character Ryan is feeling. Never before has a film so effectively put me into the middle of the spectacle. This film felt almost Artaudian in approach and it certainly worked. This film is visually stunning and doesn't substitute substance for style. This is a film that puts you into some of the situations experienced within the film. I felt a part of the peril. I felt a little anxious and excited in ways no film has ever made me feel. I found myself gasping, clutching a hand to cover my mouth, covering my ears/eyes and I'm not someone who often physically responds to film like that. I highly enjoyed this movie. It's beautiful, well acted and a thrill from beginning to end. I totally recommend you go out and see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment