Friday 15 November 2013

Film Review: Legend (1985)

Legend is one of those films I've heard of many times, even had it recommended to me, but never watched. This imagining of an untold Gothic fairytale comes with a pretty cheesy opening and Tom Cruise dressed like Peter Pan.
I feel you'd probably like this if you enjoyed Labyrinth, The Princess Bride, The Dark Crystal etc.

The film follows two pure-of-heart youngsters in their quest to fight against the Darkness that threatens their world. The film follows Princess Lily (played by Mia Sara) and her forest dwelling, elf befriending lover Jack (played by Tom Cruise)

I feel that this is the sort of film I'd really have appreciated as a child but I've grown into such a boring adult that my cheese detectors were going off so many times. I think some films you just have to experience first with child like awe and a total suspension of disbelief to fully appreciate later in life. That said I actually really enjoyed this. I appreciate the costumes and set design. The iconic prosthetic and design of Darkness was flawless considering when the film was released. It's so much better and much more enjoyable than I had previously expected.

Things I've learned from this movie: I would go to any Underworld or Hell Dimension to be Tim Curry's bride.

There's also an elf character, Gump, who looks exactly like Frankie Muniz as in Malcolm of Macolm in the Middle.
If you don't believe me, take a look for yourself:

Yes. No. Maybe


I don't know...



Can you repeat the question?



I feel like, if this were ever to be remade, that Peter Jackson could do really great job of it. In fact I'd really love to see what Peter Jackson could do with a remake of Legend. If he does, I want to play Oona the Fairy. There, I'm calling it. I want to see a Peter Jackson re-imagining of Legend.

1 comment: