Friday 19 April 2013

Tea

I've noticed a trend, a rising popularity of tea consumption.

I was once a coffee drinker. My family are all coffee drinkers so I followed suit. A year ago, when I was reading the diet book I so often mention, I converted to tea. I specifically devoted myself to green tea. I became an absolute Twinings convert. You'll so often find me drinking their green tea with cranberry (of which I am currently on my third cup) or green tea with lemon (sometimes even a slice of real lemon too, see my post on the health benefits of lemon water)

I can't help but wonder if the sudden, overwhelming popularity of tea has risen due to the Western fascination with British culture. Shows like Sherlock and Doctor Who have become incredibly popular, particularly in America but globally also. Though tea originates from China, it's seen as a quintessentially British thing. I'm constantly seeing posts on G+, Facebook and Tumblr about tea, 'if tea can't solve it then it's a serious problem', 'KEEP CALM AND DRINK TEA' and find myself wondering...

At the end of the day ... isn't it just flavoured water perhaps with a splash of milk or some sugar?

No comments:

Post a Comment