Tuesday 2 April 2013

Album Review: See You On The Ice from Carice Van Houten


With Game of Thrones Season 3 kicking off with a glorious first episode, I think it only fitting to further discuss one of the cast members and their off screen endeavours. One of the albums that acted as the soundtrack to my dissertation was Carice Van Houten's "See You On The Ice" and I have to say I cannot recall the last time an album won me over like this. Known for her role as Melisanre on the hit HBO show Game of Thrones she's a face we've all come to know and it was only through her twitter account that I heard about her music career. Starting with the song 'Particle of Light', a soft song with a light and almost poetic feel, I instantly considered the album worth listening to. Van Houten's album is pure poetry with a wide musical variety in terms of styles and instruments, it's perplexing that she's not gaining the success she deserves from this album. This album is a highly crafted collection of wonderful songs with unique lyrics well worth listening to. Because of the different instruments used and song styles explored this is an album with something for everyone.

If I were to give this album an award it would be 'Most Interesting Lyrics' with such gems as...
  • "I fed both your cats....and I watered your plants"
  • "They found water on Mars.... Not much but surely substantial. About a pound of frozen tears worth"
  • "You must be hungry, I'll make you some love so you will forget what you were thinking of"
Tracks like 'Siren or the Sea', 'Emily' and 'YOU.ME.BED.NOW' are tunes that will burrow into your brain and get stuck in your head for days and be more than welcome during the visit. I can safely say that since I found the album, I've hardly listened to anything else.

Now to whet your appetite here's a few songs from the album. I hope you enjoy it and in the links section you can see her website and direct links to the album on the UK/US Amazon sites. You can also find this album on iTunes. 





Click the widget below to find the album and buy it through Amazon:



Links:
The Carice Van Houten website

No comments:

Post a Comment