Friday 26 April 2013

Another thing I'd love to do...

Having written my B425 list of things I want to achieve over the next few years I'm starting to think about how to achieve them. I have recently remembered something else I'd love to do some time. I'm not sure if it's something I'll be able to do over the next few years since my B425 list is already quite full, but it's definitely on my general bucket list.


I've always loved the humble sea turtle. They often seem like such peaceful creatures so I was saddened to learn how endangered turtles are. I'd love to travel over and take part in a sea turtle conservation project. I'd looked into it before several years ago but couldn't find a job at the time to fund such a trip. The work often involves protecting and monitoring turtle eggs on the beach and ensuring the safety of the eggs. Then you get to watch the wonderful moment as the turtles hatch from their shells and head towards the ocean. I feel that to watch baby turtles follow that innate instinct to head to sea would be an inspirational, beautiful moment to be a part of. You have to collect eggs, keep them incubated, collect data, protect them from predators on their walk to the ocean.

In the mean time you'd spend a lot of time working with your team, camping out on the beach and experiencing coastal life. Technically I have enough money to fund such a trip now but I have my heart set on a trip to New Zealand but I will definitely look into volunteer work of this nature. It seems like such a rewarding thing to do. Rather than simply funding a charity your money as well as your effort goes to help endangered beings. You're provided with the opportunity to really experience the work that goes into sustaining these wonderful animals.

If you're interesting in volunteering for wildlife conservation work, look into it here.
There are several other places that offer such trips. In a year or two when I start looking into it I'll post more links.

Why not consider this for an upcoming holiday?
You'd get to travel, learn about the world and do something exciting and worthwhile...


No comments:

Post a Comment