Saturday 13 April 2013

April Purchases

I've seen a lot of YouTubers do vlogs on their favourite items that month. It's something I've always wanted to do but don't really buy myself an overwhelming amount of stuff throughout the month. A lot of my money goes on paying for heating/electricity/hot water or food - the boring basics. That said since I've been on a sort of mini holiday the past few weeks I've not been buying food or paying for electricity and such things at my apartment and therefore with spare money to hand I've treated myself to a few things. I thought I'd share my recent purchases with you in case any of it is of interest. If you have any recommendations, let me know.
Most of the favourite items vlogs I've watched have been about make-up, clothing and accessories but my haul seems to be more book based.


 After reading a book list with a title along the lines of "10 Contemporary Novels Women Must Read" I found this.
I think it's a dystopian novel about a tribe of women. I'm assuming it'll be a hit for any fans of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins or The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood... I'll provide a response and review once I've read it. I found it pretty cheap on Amazon because it wasn't in my local bookstore.







 I've been a fan of Buffy since it was on TV and my partner has loved it longer than me. I actually bought this as a gift for my partner but since we share an apartment I'll probably get around to reading it myself. It's a collection of issues of Season 8 of Buffy, Volume One.

Again, I bought this on Amazon because in my local book shop they only seemed to have comics about Angel or even Spike which was great but I wanted to follow the main Scoobies. Really looking forward to getting into this.










 I've already posted my review of 'Nod' by Adrian Barnes.
This is actually one of the most interesting and well written books I've read in a long time. It captured my attention in the first few pages so well and I urge you to give it a try.
I found it in Waterstones in the UK but you can get it on Amazon or look it up at Bluemoose Books, the publishers of this wonderful book.













 I really enjoyed The Fault in our Stars by John Green and am now working through all of Green's work. I recently read 'Looking for Alaska' and wrote a response and review on this blog last month. I've now got 'An Abundance of Katherines' which only leaves one more John Green book to add to the collection. Having only glanced over the first page
 I never thought that this is the kind of show I'd find myself liking but I totally do. It almost fills the hole in my heart left by shows like Malcolm in the Middle. It follows a struggling American family who find a new challenge when their son has a child after a one night stand with a woman who turns out to be a convicted serial killer. The son, 23 year old Jimmy, must raise the baby (who initially comes to him with the name 'Princess Beyonce') after the mother is sent to the electric chair. It's funny, it's fairly quirky. I think the main character is a real laugh and I relate to him and his awkward, bad-make up mall Goth stage and his love for Lord of the Rings obsession. I bought all of Season One on Amazon since I couldn't find it on Amazon. I'm really bad - I do seem to buy a lot of stuff on Amazon but I do then often rush out to Waterstones every now and then or to local shops and buy from there to support the high street/local economy a little.







 ...This book I thankfully bought in person. I've mentioned it previously as I bought it last month and am tucking into it now. I've started and look forward to seeing how they've adapted it for screen in the recent movie of the same name.





I bought The Hobbit soundtrack because I was in an HMV store and the DVD of The Hobbit wasn't out yet but there were posters and ads and cardboard cut outs of Gandalf... it's like the whole store was taunting me. Thankfully they had the CD so I was able to leave with something Middle Earth-ish. I love Howard Shore's work. My Return of the King CD is knackered so it's about time I played something else on my CD player. (Lord, am I the only person still using a CD player?)













 I bought it at the end of March so that I could have a Season 2 marathon before the new season started.

Simply had to be included because of REASONS.








 The Carice Van Houten album that brought me so much interest and viewers. Her 'See You On The Ice' album has been playing non stop in my home, in the car, on my phone... It's a brilliant album. To read my review and info on how to get the album click here.











 In terms of beauty products or make up I've not been using much but I have been loving Clinique's Heart and Happy Heart perfumes.












I'm in love with Kreepsville 666 dresses with the skeleton print. I actually have one in red, one in green and one in black and white. They're really cute as summer dresses or you can wear them in trousers. They could make a quick and easy Halloween/fancy dress costume.
I've recently been wandering around town in one of their red skeleton numbers with a casual black suit jacket thrown on top and black leggings.
If this is your thing and you'd like your own then look at Kreepsville 666 or, if you're in the UK, try Kate's Clothing










What items have you been using or excited about this past month?
Let me know in the comments and hopefully I'll do another post like this next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment