Tuesday 16 April 2013

Further April Purchases

I had some money. I now have less money. Here's where my money went.
Last week I posted a video about my recent purchases thus serving as recommendations. Today I bought a few random items and I wanted to share.


I've wanted Batman pyjama pants like this for some time now.
I have Batman pyjama pants with images of Batman himself like little comic book panels up my legs but I wanted something like this with the basic black and yellow logo and I finally found it! Yay - something to lounge around in whilst wearing my Batgirl shirt or Batman necklace or...well... you get the point.
Found at Primark, £9
Can also be found on Amazon
Oh yeah... I also bought Superman pyjama pants.
I'm dreadful at buying myself clothes. I'd love to go shopping
and come back with pretty dresses or shoes but that never seems to happen. Instead I have an endless supply of band shirts and bright pyjama pants, the combination that serves as a second skin to me. Also £9 at Primark. I tend to get my pyjama pants or "lounge pants" as they're often called from the men's section of the store. One time a woman at the till saw me hand over a bright pair of comic book themed lounge pants and leaned in to say 'you do know these are from the men's section, right?"
I nodded. So she said 'As in these are for men' and again, I nodded whilst refraining from saying 'Well I have to have something to cover my massive penis' just to see how she'd react. Without considering that I may be buying them for a male friend or family member she felt the need to almost tell me not to buy something as if it were against my gender. I almost make a habit of checking the men's section for bright, beautiful lounge pants now.


Then I found a bunch of books in a local discount book shop...
Having paid off my summer holiday this morning I turned my mind to summer reading and purchased five books for the grand price of £5.50. All of these books are, at present, complete mysteries to me. I get a strange rush when buying new books, especially when I know so little about them, as it means I have something to discover. It means that the literary adventure ahead is still unknown to me.


This was the first book that I noticed. Firstly because it was Robin Hobb, an author often suggested for fans
of Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings. Secondly because of the 50p price sticker slapped across the cover. Sure, it's the third book in a trilogy, but it prepares me and gives me a good excuse to get the previous two books. Sadly the shop didn't have the previous two books but I shall certainly keep an eye out for them in the discount stores in town. I highly recommend supporting discount and second hand book shops in your local area. I've managed to find so many great, affordable books at such shops.



Looking for books that would take me to interesting places I'd never been before, I picked up Penney's 'The Tenderness of Wolves' as it is a murder mystery set in Canada around the 1860s.
Canadian literature seemed prevalent on my university modules and so I decided to read something else set in this land I've so far only come across in fiction. The title seemed interesting and I look forward to a good crime novel.











I initially picked up 'The Demi-Monde: Winter' by Rod Rees as I was intrigued by the steampunk style cover. By the second or third line of the blurb I added it to the pile of books I was clutching in my arms. Definitely seems like a book for anyone who appreciates films such as The Matrix or Inception.

Also I'm a sucker for any book that starts with a map of fictional lands.










The most expensive of my book purchases, coming in at a whopping £2, is a story of murder and seduction. Set in Kenya the novel explores post colonial issues and details from a real murder.
Focusing on the tale of Alice de Janzé, and using real records and details of her life, this will hopefully be a really interesting read.
I've already perused the opening paragraph and I feel I'll enjoy it.












Well so far I've had books that promise to transport me to snowy Canada or the sweltering backdrop of Kenya. Saraswati Park shall hopefully then take me to Bombay. The book by Anjali Joseph focuses on the fictional area of Saraswati Park, said to be located in suburban Bombay, is a tale of work, marriage and life in general.

















I also bought a small pair of turtle shape stud earrings from Bijou Brigitte for around £12.95. I've long been a fan of Bijou Brigitte and their jewellery and these little silver stud earrings just seemed really cute. I'm dreadful at wearing earrings and hadn't worn or bought any since last year. I was actually shocked that my ears remained pierced and I was able to fit them in





What have you treated yourself to as of late?
Where do you usually buy your books?
Let me know by leaving a comment below,

No comments:

Post a Comment