Monday 27 May 2013

Writer Problem #6: Casual Insomnia

I swear I'm not the only one who experiences this.
As a writer there are moments when I have no inspiration to write and moments where words flow with ease. It's almost impossible to predict when these bursts of inspiration will come along to bless me but there certainly is a trend as to the times that such things occur.

It always seems to be late at night after a long day when I turn to light off, curl up and put my head on the pillow that great parts of a novel seem to appear in my mind. Suddenly the light goes on, the laptop or nearby notepad is grabbed and I have to furiously write down the idea as I cannot guarantee I'll remember such thoughts in the morning. This, dear reader, is why I'm sat here at 03:35, the early hours on a Monday morning, for no good reason other the fact that inspiration hit me. I have, however, just written a small essay sized chunk of novel of around 3,000 words so I suppose I can't complain. I just wish inspiration came at better times because, and my partner can vouch for this, the late night inspiration burst when I'm already half asleep is a strangely common experience.

Alrighty. I just hope I can get back to sleep now.
Wish me luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment