Friday 31 May 2013

Song of the Day: Iago by Julia Mascetti



Something a little different for the Song of the Day today. Not only does this song come from an artist that I adore but it is created and performed by one of my favourite people. A very talented singer, musician and closer personal friend, the wonderful Julia Mascetti, has created a wonderful song named 'Iago' along with another friend of mine - the equally talented Laurie Smart. Julia Mascetti, I have often said, should be the Italian version of Chelsea Daggers. She is an artist who has devoted much of her time to music over the years. She has recently been performing with Opera North in Leeds.

Surely I'm not the only one who finds myself bored by the repetitive banality and almost patronising simplicity seen in the majority of pop music these days. The message is usually clear, kindly repeated for you several times, and after a while one hungers for something with a little more substance in which case Mascetti provides a wonderful splash of alternative flavour. 'Iago' is a great song, the lyrics like quick-moving poetry, and the combination of delicate harp-plucking against more synth-y undertones creates something rather contemporary and endlessly cool. Also as an English student it's impossible to not appreciate the literature references within the lyrics. This song is quirky, poetic and packed with emotion - this is a fresh sound unlike anything you hear on the radio. I like hearing music within this dark cabaret realm and feel that the song apty combines the raw talents of Julia as a singer and harpist with a more electronic pulse. The song is executed with a really well executed dramatic flair and ounces of personal style.



You can hear the song by clicking here to listen to the song on Soundcloud. The lyrics are deep, the music itself is catchy. If I ever should need to hire someone to write a musical about my life I'd want Team Laurie/Mascetti in charge of the project. In fact if I could dictate the music industry I'd pay for Ms Mascetti to go and make lots of music because I want at least one full Julia Mascetti album. Now sure, I know Julia and suppose I am a tiny bit biased in my total adoration for her as a person but many times over the time we've been friends have I sat and simply listened to her plucking away at her harp and creating bursts of chaos follow by elegant trills of beautiful purrs.

So please do me one small favour today since you're already on the internet and probably have little else to do. Listen to her song, follow her on Facebook, subscribe to her on YouTube and support her musical career for further slices of musical and lyrical excellence. Julia is a wonderful young performer who creates music for pleasure, not money. She has lugged her harp from homes to concert venues and travelled with one up and down the country in the back of her car. She puts such a huge amount of effort into her craft and I feel that it is an absolute crime that more people aren't aware of her talents.


Links:
Click here to listen to Iago by Julia Mascetti
Like Julia Mascetti on Facebook
Click here for Julia Mascetti on YouTube - subscribe of you like what you hear
Julia Mascetti on Twitter - please follow her and send her a tweet with your thoughts on the song :)


No comments:

Post a Comment