Thursday 23 May 2013

Star Trek has made me realise something...

Guys... I think I'm a Vulcan.

  • For years now I've had very thin eyebrows. I over-tweaked them when I was younger and they don't grow too long any more. Thankfully this is how I like them. I have always preferred my 'brows short and pointy. It was only this evening that I realised I have pretty good Vulcan brows!

  

  • Vulcans have a vegetarian diet. Although I'm currently a pescetarian rather than a vegetarian my hope is to eventually consider vegetarianism.
  • Vulcans favour logic and intelligence rather than focusing too much on their emotions. There are often days where this is something I suppose I can totally relate to.
Well, I guess I was mainly going on the whole eyebrow thing. 


What are my thoughts on the new Star Trek film?

I really enjoyed it. Previously my only contact with Star Trek had been through friends. I knew enough of the plot and characters having watched many episodes with my partner. It was something I'd watched, but totally out of sequence, only seeing bits here and there. In fact I hadn't seen the previous Star Trek film.

Visually breathtaking with spectacular effects. I loved the opening scene - the planet with the red trees. The alien beings of the planet looked like something from a Tool music video. That's not criticism - I love Tool and their music videos. Zachary Quinto makes a great Spock and I totally loved his portrayal of the character. Definitely loved the Kirk/Spock bromance. Benedict Cumberbatch was evidently born to play a villain.

I've read some criticism on the film in terms of racial portrayal and gender dynamics, definitely worth consideration. That said, I really enjoyed it. The next time my partner puts on Star Trek on the SyFy channel I'll probably now pay more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment