Sunday 12 May 2013

The Chick-sitter Diaries.

A night babysitting three baby chicks:

22:45 Moved chicks out of the conservatory. It was way too cold. Will instead probably keep them in my room where it's nice and warm but also free of cats. I don't mind the chirping.

22:52 Trying to teach the chicks how to eat and drink. Without a mother to follow they seem a tad clueless and I've not seen them eat all day. Concerned. Maybe they have been eating, no clue, but I just want to be sure.

Am now grinding up small bits of food that now essentially look like white powder.
How funny would it be to take a photo that looks like the chicken is doing a line of cocaine?

22:54 The chicks seem to keep falling over or trying to throw themselves off of any elevated surface in a botched attempt to fly. What dopey gits. Too early, little loves.






22:55 Chicken skill acquired: pecking. The little chicks appear to be really good at pecking things.
Now I put food in their way... peck it and eat it, babies, peck it and eat it.
The small chick is nuzzled in my hoodie again. Suddenly not chirping, just snuggled in a little. Enjoy the warmth, little squeaker.


22:58 I think they've got it. High five to self! I make a wonderful Mama Hen.

23:06 Tucking the babies into bed. Huddling them up in a corner and snuggled near towel for warmth. They have a lovely makeshift home

23:11 Babies chirping again. Let them cry it out. That's what the parenting books teach us. Let 'em cry it out.... they'll learn that way...



23:12 Ok. Seeing the chicks as my babies. Something definitely not right here. 

23:16 I turned the TV volume down so the chicks could sleep and had a split second where I jokingly pondered over how immoral it would be to watch Game of Thrones in front of the younguns.

22:27 The babies are settled down. 

23:23 NO THEY ARE NOT. THEY ARE ALL CHIRPING. GO TO SLEEP LITTLE BABIES GO TO SLEEP NOW.
They don't ever seem to sleep for long. What a wonderful glimpse into parenthood.

23:35 A tad concerned with the scrawny one and the way she/he is standing.

23:57 Loud chirping. Gonna check on the babies. Perhaps time for a midnight feast where I shall crumble more food for them to fill their tiny bellies.

00:18 Just handfed Lana because I hadn't seen her eat. She's standing funny and often closes her eyes. Perhaps it is because she's younger than the other two and she's still developing but something about caring for tiny creatures brings out a weird maternal instinct.

00:30 Heading to bed soon. The babies are fed, I'll probably get up and feed them in the night if they need, and take them to my room where it is warm. It seems almost worrying how much I care for the health and safety of these fluffy little things...
Goodnight, lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment