Sunday 29 December 2013

AUTHOR BIO.

For the publication of my collection of short stories I had to fill out some information about myself that the British Library need. After fangirling intensely about the idea of there being records about me written in the British Library I decided to write a quick bio here for you. I'd seen author Laini Taylor do something similar on her blog.
Who knows?
In 2014 I may be setting up my own website, an idea I've been toying with for a few months, and will probably have to include some of this content there anyway.


  • Born in Aberdeen, Scotland. 
  • Raised by my two loving parents in Scotland, moved to England during my early years. Have lived mainly within Hertfordshire. 
  • Went to an all female high school where my chosen subjects were geography, theatre studies, French and Spanish.
  • During my A Levels I based my entire final year language analysis project on expletive language because I wanted to listen to people talk dirty and have an excuse to swear in class.
  • Have a younger sister, Bethany. She is my hero. One of many but one of the most influential.
  • Has many cats. I also have a dog who thinks he's a cat.
  • Follows a pescetarian diet and primarily uses cruelty free beauty and cosmetic items. I make a wicked all vegan iced coffee. I base a lot of my dietary choices on the work and teachings of nutritionist Kimberly Snyder. 
  • Am a rescuer of ex-battery hens. Am often woken up to the cry of "cock-a-doodle-do"
  • Was educated at The University of Huddersfield and graduated with a good degree as part of the Class of 2013. 
  • Whilst at university I began writing for The Huffington Post. This, for me, was a huge break into journalism. I hadn't really considered journalism much previously but becoming a HuffPost blogger was a huge turn of the key for me.
  • I landed my first publishing deal at the age of 21. Technically it was my first time submitting my work for proper, stand-alone publication. It was through a competition of sorts. The publishers took in entries and, at the end, would award an offer of publication to any that they liked. There would be a maximum of six winners. In the end my collection was chosen along with the work of two other authors more accomplished and well known that myself which was utterly humbling. My collection of short stories is set to come out early this year. 
  • Have worked in a lot of boring jobs: waitress, barista, hotel receptionist, bar maid etc. My coolest job thus far was working in a cinema/movie theater/theatre. I love film so working in a job with film nerds and getting to see all the movies for free was a real plus for me.
  • Hoping to work on a few projects in 2014 that will end up beyond the page and on screens. Expect lots of script writing and exploration of digital media and literary presentation.
  • I have always wanted to be a writer. When  Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire came out I recall meeting JK Rowling very briefly at a book signing. Standing before her, finding myself in a state of awe, I had an epiphany. I wanted to be a story teller and I wanted my work to be published. I've been writing stories ever since. I wrote before, of course, but before that point my desires and preferred outcome had never been so clear. Also I have a signed copy of The Goblet of Fire so...u jelly?

No comments:

Post a Comment