Sunday 29 December 2013

2013 New Years Resolutions, A Review: Did I Complete Them All?

What I said:
"
1) Do that work, like a boss. With only three months left of university I want to do as best I can on any assignments that still lie ahead including that mammoth dissertation of mine. At the moment whenever I close my eyes to sleep my dissertation is what I think of, usually having sudden surges of inspiration when what I desperately need is sleep. Thanks for that one, Brain. "

Did I manage to complete it?
Yes!
I managed to ace my degree. In creative writing alone I got straight firsts and over all I got a 2:1, an upper second class honours degree. My degree certificate now hangs in my study with pride next to my mother's law degree.

What I said:
"
Thank you, Kimberly Snyder. I spent a lot of my life hating my appearance, focusing hatred on little bits of it: my weight, the shape of my nose, my legs. The past year or so I've really tried to focus on my health: I've been swimming more, gone on more walks, even made radical changes to my diet. I hope that in 2013 I can continue my new pescetarian diet and continue to swim and, as soon as my leg has fully healed, go on more walks/hikes. "

Did I manage to complete it?
Yes!
I kept to my pescetarian diet and have even made certain changes with my diet. Some days my diet is practically vegan. I'm very healthy and I treat my body with care. Now I don't hate my body, I'm so wonderfully comfortable in my own skin and it's great. I've done some swimming but I should really try to make sure I swim more in 2014 because it's something that I really enjoy.

What I said:
"
She works hard for the money. Once I graduate from The University of Huddersfield with my degree I want to move back down south and find a job - any job at first. I want to throw myself back into work so I can start earning money (which will be continued in the next resolution) and it'll give me something to do post-grad. The last thing I want to do is fall back into the habit of doing nothing. The job doesn't even have to be relative to what I want to pursue in my future career path. "

Did I manage to complete it?
Yes.
I had a job almost directly after completing my dissertation but I'm now looking for a proper graduate job with decent pay. I'd preferably like something relevant to my skill set but we'll see what the new year brings. I got a job and earned money which I've put away. I have just started a new job and am being put on a three month contract and, whilst I work that job, I'm also applying for a position as a weekly columnist so I'll be able to pursue journalism in my spare time.

What I said:
"
 The Pen is Mightier than the Sword. By the end of 2013 I want to have a book, a script, a screenplay or whatever written, completed, ready for the next stage. This, to me, is just as big and as daunting as the dissertation. If I have a book published I can then look into getting it published. If I have a script I can start to consider the next stages in the production process. "

Did I manage to complete it?
You bet your ass I did!
Not only did I finish a project, but it's currently in the publication process. I worked on a novel for NaNoWriMo which, although I feel still needs some work, is a huge personal success. So this year I completed two projects and took one all the way to the next stage way ahead of schedule. I scored my first publishing deal which has really been the highlight of the year for me. Majorly proud of myself for that...

What I said:
"
Do more interesting things. I should take inspiration from the film 'Yes Man' and start throwing myself head first into new experiences and situations. Variety is the fruit of life and whatnot. I could go paintballing or take up painting or learn to dance ballet again. Who knows? "

Did I manage to complete it?
I guess so, yeah.
I've taken up doing exercises at home like sit ups and squats. I started drawing/sketching again. I got back into hiking just a little bit. I took up blogging here and for The Huffington Post thus pursuing an interest in journalism. I took up making cool, flavoured iced coffees at home, some of which are vegan. I've taken up modifying shirts. In 2014 I hope to continue doing new, cool things. This year I've gone from being in university to working to trying to finish a novel... So hopefully in 2014 I'll have more time and money to try new, exciting tasks and hobbies. The year before I took up making soaps and bath oils at home.


What I said:
"
Go to New Zealand."

Did I manage to complete it?
Sadly no.
I have the money to go but I've just been so busy this year and at the moment I've got other things that take priority. If I go to New Zealand I want to go for a minimum of two weeks and lately I've been too busy with my writing and supporting my partner through university (emotionally) so this is quite an important time. Will I make it to New Zealand in 2014? Possibly, but who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment