Friday 28 June 2013

Support Dreams

The other day I was in Camden and a guy came up and spoke to me.
This is fairly common in Camden. You'll often find people from charities wanting to speak about their cause, people trying to sell their products on the street. Camden is a wild and vocal place. The man I spoke to, however, actually was successful in his aim.

The young man had recently recorded his first album and was selling copies of the CD. Most people were simply walking by and ignoring him completely. In fact this would have been my usual response as we're so often taught to hold tight to our purses and not fund anyone asking on the street at any time. Normally I'd walk by and not give a second thought but this time I didn't. Since I'm currently throwing myself into my writing I'm fully aware of how hard it is to get your work published. I'm sure it is equally hard trying to gain attention for your music or any other art form. The man was asking for small donations of a few pounds. Something about him really moved me, so I gave him some money and bought a copy of his CD. His work wasn't the kind of music that usually appeals to me but I know how hard it is to be at the bottom trying to work your way to the top. I admired his courage to stand out and spend the day trying to make his dreams happen and hated the idea of him going home empty handed after a long day.

I think it's important that we remember what it feels like to be at the bottom with dreams of making it to the top. So many people put in their work, time and energy and really struggle to advance. In an age where so many opt for the instant road to stardom via competitions and talent shows I admired him for taking a more traditional route to his personal goals. If you have money to spare why not help fund the arts by donating to local artists or even doing so via art fund website Kickstarter? Why not go to see unsigned bands performing in your local area? Why not go to student art/fashion shows?  Why not go and support indie film-makers? Support the stars of the future and make them feel one step closer to their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment