Thursday 13 June 2013

Hair Dye Tips!

My friends who have known me for a good deal of time will have seen me under an ever changing mass of hair. Soon they usually find themselves used to my chameleon-like nature.

I admit it.
I'm totally addicted to hair dye.
However this means I know a thing or two on the matter and am here to share my shreds of wisdom on the matter with you.

This is for those new to changing their hair colour. It can be very rewarding, boosts self confidence and allows you to alter your image. In fact coloured hair is becoming more and more popular at the moment from the humble dip dye to the full colour change.

These tips are entirely for those who haven't had much experience with hair dye. My hopes are to encourage people to do interesting things with their hair that they want to. Unless you have a specific reason to not dye your hair (because of your job, poor hair health etc) and want to dye your hair I hope this encourages you to consider and explore your possibilities.

If you're new to dyeing your hair, or are hoping to do so for the first time, just be careful. I say this for many reasons. Hair dye can be an expensive and addicted habit once you get started. Colour maintenance can really become a chore. Also, if done in a sloppy manner, you can get bright stains from the dye all over your bathroom/home.
If you have longer hair why not test your desired colour on the tips or a small strip of your hair before going ahead and applying dye to the whole head. This way you can see the colour and, if you don't like it, simply cut out the odd streak. Perhaps try to pick a colour that will work well with your skin tone and the colour of your clothing to avoid clashing. That said you should ultimately choose a colour you are happy with, a shade you want for yourself. Ask yourself: is this a colour I'd often wear? Does this shade I want go with my clothing? How would I wear it? How would I style it? Can I afford to maintain this?


When you dye your hair make sure to really comb through the lengths of your hair evenly and apply hair right to the roots if you're dyeing the top of the head or aiming for full head coverage.

When you dye your hair a lot or use a lot of chemicals/products/heat on your hair it's important to give back some love. Make sure to buy hair strengthening oils/shampoos/conditioner. You can also get colour protect shampoo and conditioner. Make sure to get a diet of good nutritional value as this will help hair growth:










I've used quite a lot of dyes in my time from natural colours to unnatural colours.
Some of my favourites:
Directions: Apple (Green - this shade was utterly beautiful)
Crazy Color: Pinkissimo
Crazy Color: Bubble Gum Blue
Colours I've not had a good time with:
Crazy Color: Violette.
Not sure if mine was incorrectly bottled but it came out a dark navy blue rather than a nice shade of purple.
Crazy Color: Emerald Green
It came out a horrible shade of pastel green hair, more a spring green than anything. Crazy Color dye is cheap. I guess you get what you pay for but some of their dyes have been really good.


With Crazy Color you can often leave the dye on for hours and hours. I even left my pink dye on overnight whilst wrapped up in tin foil and in a shower cap so as to not damage my pillow. I also applied some heat to the hair. This all really helped to seal the colour in and it really didn't budge. All I had to do was touch up the roots with pink dye every now and then.

When you dye hair try to do so using a tint brush and mixing bowl for the dye. I've often seen these in bargain stores for a pound or two. If not try finding something like this online to dye your hair with.

Tip: Before buying dye, why not look up reviews for that particular shade? This way you'll hear how other people experienced it and hear if they would recommend it.



Applying a touch of heat often strengthens the colour, makes it last longer and really seals it all in. Try to cover hair with a cheap shower cap when leaving dye to sit.
Try not to miss hair around your face as any missed spots will be easy to notice.
If you're new to dyeing your hair at home why not get a more experienced friend help out to show you how it's done so you'll be able to get it right and continue to maintain your new and gorgeous hair.
If you're unsure about the shade, why not go to a local wig seller and try on some wigs to test the colour against your eye/skin tone and clothing.
If you can get a foam dye for your first dye experience I recommend it as it's fairly straight forward and provides minimal mess.
Keep hair hydrated and well nourished.
Be happy, be colourful.

No comments:

Post a Comment