Thursday 17 July 2014

What My University Degree Means To Me

A year ago, I graduated from university and I can safely say that it was one of the proudest and happiest moments of my life so far. It represented so much: I'd achieved something big. I was good enough to hold an influential degree. It was a hot day. I'd just got back from Corfu where it was sweltering but I was still graduating in a heat wave, buried under heavy black robes and sweating like a piglet. I had to pick up my robes, find my friends, pick up tickets for my family... It was a hectic morning but the whole time, excitement swelled in my stomach. Three years had amounted to this: this moment of glory, this feeling of triumph. As I walked across that stage and shook hands with the Dean it almost didn't feel real. It was a moment I'd imagined so many times and finally it was happening...

I remember telling my family I was getting a 2:1, a higher grade than I'd honestly expected. I'd felt a lot of trepidation and self doubt. I sat in the car, trying not to say anything to my mother to let the secret slip. I wanted to tell all of my family together. When I did there were hugs, a bottle of champagne was brought in and it began to really sink in. I'd done it.

My university education has afforded me so much. I've made many friendships, had the experience of living in Yorkshire. In fact, without my university education, I wouldn't be a published author right now. Before university I'd never even considered writing for films and television. I owe so much to the University of Huddersfield. I opted for a degree that had a creative writing portion because I'd always wanted to be an author. The only problem was, before university, I had real trouble focusing on and finishing projects. I needed to learn more about crafting my work and the publication process.

During the course of my education I really had my doubts.
Am I doing the right degree?
Will this all really pay off some day?

Is this the best route for me?
Is it all worth it?


It hasn't been easy since leaving university. I'm still looking for that perfect graduate job. That said I've gained so much more confidence and experience. Once my novel is finished I'm far more confident in taking the steps that come after. I had such wonderful experiences and my time at university will always hold a really special place in my heart. I'm so thankful that my family were so supportive through the entire process. My partner was a real pillar of strength to me also. It was a lot of hard work but it has already had a huge impact on my life. Without university I wouldn't be published, wouldn't have started this blog, wouldn't be a blogger for The Huffington Post. I cannot fathom how my life would have turned out otherwise.

My degree certificate is framed in my study next to my mother's degree. It has a place of pride upon my wall and I often catch myself looking at it. I understand that it grants me and signifies a real privilege as not everyone is afforded the education I've had and I do not forget the gravity of my degree. I will forever be proud and strive to put my qualifications to good use. It's something I carry with me and still feel so immensely proud of. I proved a lot of things to the people around me and I proved a lot of things to myself as well. I'm taking some time today to think of all the other people graduating right now and the people who graduated at my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment