Sunday 27 July 2014

Achievements

So I've been thinking a lot lately about the idea of achievements and aspirations: the things we want to do before we die, the things we wish to be known for. Job interviews have forced me to really try and figure out the path ahead of me. I never had a clear, rigic career plan. I just have these vague aspirations, a giant check list with things waiting to be ticked off. I've had some wonderful experiences so far, even just in the past ten years of my life. Maybe it's because I'm back in the perpetual job hunt which prompts me to constantly talk about myself and reconsider my achievements.

I've worked for a radio station from being a show host to being the head of PR and Marketing. I landed my first publishing deal at the age of 21 and was published by age 22. I've been in music videos for bands and artists that I love. I've been on TV several times. I graduated university with a 2:1 degree. It's time to tun my mind to the things that come next. So here I'm going to take a moment to outline to myself, and to you, the things I'd like to achieve in some way before I die.

  • Film. I want to be involved in film somehow. At the moment I'm thinking of starting by writing a few film scripts, some original and some adapted, and I'd like to write them and maybe even have the chance to direct them. I feel that, if you wrote something, you know it so much more intimately.
  • Television. Same as above: I have projects planned that I'd ideally like to write and direct.
  • Music. I want to sing. I want to record music and put it out there even if it's not topping charts and being wildly successful. I want to leave my voice behind in the world when I'm gone. 
  • Publishing. At the moment I'd really like to gain some experience in the world of publishing, even if it's just a six month paid internship or something. I feel that I'd gain some invaluable experience.
  • Writing. First and foremost I want to be a writer. I want to finish a novel soon and I want to have several books published before I die. 
  • Family. I want to get married. I want to move into a nice house with my partner and have some children. I want to be a parent.
  • Theatre. I'd love to act again - even in just one show.
    Travel. I want to travel. I want to write as I travel. I want to write about travel. I want to find myself in new corners of the world. I want to take photographs of sunny places.
    Art. I'm not the best when it comes to art but I appreciate art. I want to create art of my own even if it's not the best. Maybe it will be performance art or a sculpture or a painting... Who knows?
I suppose this shows that I'm really dedicated to the arts and, before death, want to pursue my interests in many different art forms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment