Sunday 20 July 2014

Review + Response: Globe on Screen, Macbeth

On Monday I went down to my local cinema to watch Globe on Screen's Macbeth.
Strange to think that, four years ago, I was actually at the Globe to see a different RSC performance of the Scottish play. I entered knowing nothing of the cast or production. I know the play very well. It is my absolute favourite Shakespeare play. I was so overjoyed when I saw that Billy Boyd, most famous for playing Pippin in Lord of the Rings, was playing Banquo. Let me first say how great Billy Boyd was. He is utterly splendid as a stage actor as well as a screen actor.

Eve Best as a director has skilfully lead the cast to create a highly entertaining performance full of unique moments of comedy to juxtapose the dark subject matter. One brilliant moment that had the entire audience laughing was Macbeth entering a scene by skipping jovially over Banquo's body.

Samantha Spiro played a truly coarse and ambitious Lady Macbeth whose presence was immediately commanding. The three witches created a wonderful performance with the use of song, dance and music to create chilling atmospheres in each scene. I loved that the play began with the entire cast creating a wonderfully boisterous drum performance and ended with one of the witches pulling out a violin for a melancholic solo that then became faster until the cast broke into a dance for their final bows. It made a tragic play have a fun ending so the audience left feeling a little more uplifted than they would have done otherwise. I can safely say that this was the best performance of Macbeth that I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment