Friday 7 February 2014

Big January Film Review

Here's a post of films I saw this month and my thoughts on them. I started doing this last year because it means I can put together a big film review of several films each month all in one efficient post thus creating something concise and collected.

Here is a list of some of the films I watched in the month of January. I may have forgotten some but if I have I'll feature them in upcoming posts. That said, here are the films I saw in January and my thoughts on them.

American Hustle

Ok. This is going to be an unpopular opinion, I know, but I really didn't enjoy American Hustle.

For me it all felt kinda familiar, a little stale, and it wasn't really a breath taking film for me. I thought that Jennifer Lawrence gave a great, charismatic performance and Christian Bale went through a real transformation for the role but it didn't do it for me. The film had a pretty good soundtrack and, from what I hear, the director and cast were all more focused on exploring characters and real emotion rather than being tied down to a pre-written plot and I can appreciate that but I'm saying that this just isn't a film that I was really raving about with great passion.




Celeste and Jesse Forever

I actually didn't know if I'd like this or not but I saw it on Netflix and decided to put it on. It's the story of a couple at the very end of their relationship as they are about to finalise their divorce and yet they remain close best friends and as they put an end to their marriage they begin to question their flaws and feelings. It's a very human film with a real indie edge and some brilliant moments.










Tangled

I can't believe it took me so long to see this movie. A friend of mine wrote about it for her university dissertation for crying out loud. I watched it and really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun and had some very entertaining moments throughout. The relationship between Flynn and Maximus was reminiscent of Jean Valjean and Javert and I loved that it put a really light twist on a Grimm fairy tale.








47 Ronin

This movie totally bombed at the box office but I actually really enjoyed it. It was a colourful fight fest with imaginative elements fused with the essence of feudal Japanese history and culture. It comes with an unexpected ending that most Hollywood films would try to re-write. Rinko Kikuchi totally stole the film for me via an utterly stunning performance. It was refreshing to see a film where there were only a handful of white characters as we're often so used to Hollywood white-washing. It was visually stunning with a great soundtrack that reignited my love of taiko drumming and Japanese language.







Catfish: The Movie

OK, so I watch the TV show of Catfish but until recently I had not seen the film/documentary that sparked it all.
I sat down to watch it and appreciated seeing the roots and inspiration for the show. It was kinda heartbreaking to see just how much faith Nev had put into this stranger. Of course, if you've watched the TV show, you know how it all ended for Nev but the movie was just so fascinating because you realise just how deep the deception in this particular story went and it's scary but thankfully since the documentary was released, and the subsequent TV follow up, internet safety has been signal boosted.





Heathers

I am not exaggerating when I say that this was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It was so good that I don't want to say too much. From what I'd heard of it I assumed it'd be like Mean Girls... but in the 80s. Oh, how wrong I was.

Don't read anything about this movie, just watch it. It's on Netflix or DVD copies will be fairly cheap but do yourself a favour and watch it.






You Again

This was a bit of a gamble as I don't really like chick flicks or family comedies like this but it was a decent, predictable watch with moments of slapstick comedy and immaturity. It follows a young woman who returns to her home town for the wedding of her older brother. The only problem is she finds out on arrival that her brother is marrying her high school tormentor. Unwilling to allow her brother to marry a bully she does her best to break the two up in the run up to the wedding. If you like chick flicks, family comedy, wedding movies and light hearted fun then this is the flick for you.

Safety Not Guaranteed

This is one of the most recent films I watched and it was a refreshing film. This oddball, indie sci-fi was a great watch that left you guessing throughout the whole film. It follows a group of journalists who go undercover to follow up a bizarre ad in the personal column seeking an assistant for a time travelling mission. Their safety, it states, is not guaranteed. It's a film about trust, adventure and acceptance. This is a great summer movie or a good Valentine's Day movie regardless of you relationship status. It reminds us to remain open to adventure and to have hope and trust. As an audience you bounce between belief and disbelief as the film goes on and it unwraps slowly but it's a real laid back film that I highly recommend.




What movies have YOU watched in the past month?
What have you been enjoying?
Let me know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment