Thursday 13 February 2014

A Daily Exercise In Positive Thinking

In my life I have personally experienced and had to handle depression. I've lived with it and those I love with have had to deal with it. It's a terrible burden to carry around with you and it's very different for everyone who has depression. Depression is very much a spectrum and people fall in different areas of that spectrum. It's very easy to begin to feel totally lost in it, especially in a longer period of depression. I'd like to share with you something I did to try and cope with my own depression.

I used to sit and think/write down at least five good things from the day. It could be anything, small or big, I'd think and reflect on it. Maybe someone held a door open for me or I saw a family of ducks swimming down the canal or I watched an elderly couple walk down the road hand in hand. If possible I'd then try to think of five more things. Somehow just reminding myself of the small goods in the world made me feel a little better. There were days where it didn't but if you repeat this then it may have a positive impact and it is, therefore, definitely worth the try. There are other things I'd do: I'd look at houses for sale online and imagine which ones I'd buy if I won the lottery. I'd write lists of things I want to do and achieve over the next few weeks. I'd buy tickets to gigs and events. You've got to really start to pick at the shell around you and not let yourself be utterly submerged/trapped.

It may seem silly. Hell, it may even seem patronising but I assure you I've done this and on your worst days it reminds you that, although you feel awful or maybe don't even feel at all, there are still positive things around you. If you're suffering with depression my heart goes out to you because I know it isn't easy. I do know, however, that it's possible to beat it. You're in my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. I commend you on making the effort to focus your thoughts - that's the hardest discipline there is. I believe strongly in positivity backed by affirmations. They make life better whether consciously of unconsciously - here's an explanation I wrote:
    http://actionaffirmations.com/understanding-law-of-attraction-affirmations-and-how-they-work/

    ReplyDelete