Tuesday 24 June 2014

The Fault In Our Stars: Review + Response (Movie)

Alrighty: this is a review and I am warning you. THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.
If you have NOT seen the film and do not want spoilers then please do not read anything beyond this sentence.

I always get anxious when a big hype is created around a film because sometimes the hype sets up far too many expectations. I therefore entered this film with that sense of hype. I began to worry: will I be disappointed by a film I've looked forward to for so long? I was such a fan of the book. In fact, at one point, I had four (yes, four) copies of the book in my tiny apartment... and a signed poster... and a TFIOS shirt. I can happily say that I was very pleased with how the film turned out.

 This film got to me; in fact I first cried within thirty seconds of the film starting as a single tear peeked through my eye as I realised I'd just signed up for a rollercoaster that only goes up... before plummeting down. Some scenes were cut out and other scenes didn't translate well to screen in the same way they translated on paper. What must be said, though, is that it was very faithful to the book. It's refreshing to see film-makers respecting the original source material. The eulogy scene was utterly heart breaking. If I had any say, I'd want to see Ansel Elgort get an Oscar nomination for his performance. The gas station scene was so utterly heart breaking and, yes, I started crying then too. It was perfect in the aim of depicting cancer not as a graceful struggle, but as a painful, awful disease that ruins lives. The night of the broken trophies scene managed to make the entire audience laugh. It was pitched and performed so perfectly. What I love about the book is that it's a romance, yes, but it reminds us that love happens regardless of circumstance. It reminds us that even the young get sick and have to live through something as horrible as cancer. The film will hopefully reach so many that haven't read the book and hopefully it will really raise cancer awareness and support. I know that a lot of people living with cancer have appreciated some sort of on screen representation. This film is powerful stuff and a real amuse bouche before all of the traditional summer blockbusters roll in. This is a feel-good/feel-sad indie flick that is not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment