Saturday 7 June 2014

Review + Response: Maleficent (2014)

After the success of hit musical 'Wicked' we've become hugely interested in hearing the villain's side of the story that sheds light on their actions. We like our villains motivated and well rounded. We try to find some sympathy for them. This is true with Disney's latest effort, Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie in the titular role and Elle Fanning as a young Princess Aurora. It's a dark family film and felt like something Tim Burton wishes he could have pulled off. It's colourful and vibrant with darker scenes to contrast as Maleficent develops as a character. The film acts as a sort of feminist/revisionist back story that somewhat corrects the original Sleeping Beauty film that Disney had previously released to create a new narrative that steps aside from the cocoon of the previous movie.

My main criticism would be that it felt a little too short. I wanted more. I wanted to see The Moors. I wanted to see more of Maleficent as she grew from child to darker, wingless adult. I'm not sure if she was given as much of a voice as I'd have liked. Basically more Angelina Jolie please. Jolie gave a truly stunning performance, even using some of the original character dialogue, and executed a perfect performance. I loved the costumes and some of the changes from the original Sleeping Beauty tale. I'll keep this spoiler free but I can tell you there's a moment where queer women everywhere will want to cheer a little bit in the movie theater. The brevity of the film was their only downfall. otherwise this was an enchanting film.

No comments:

Post a Comment