Thursday 6 March 2014

The Book Thief. Review + Response

So, yesterday I gave my verdict on The Monuments Men and I was rather candid about how awful I thought it was. Now I'm here to tell you about another film set during WW2 - but this one was brilliant.

Based on the amazing novel by Markus Zusak, this was a stunning and poignant film about a young girl sent to live in a foster home during the Second World War. It's a wonderful tale about the powerful nature of love and the overpowering certainty of death. This film broke my feels. It captures a sense of what it must have been like to live in a Germany gripped by Hitler's reign and does so from the point of view of normal German families trying to cope with the changes in their town. Geoffrey Rush gave such a marvellous, heart warming performance. The brutal reality of the Holocaust itself isn't the focus here: it's focusing more on the changing attitudes of Germans in Hitler's Germany. I'd recommend this film to anyone, particularly young adult viewers.
Also if you see the film I urge you to also read the novel if you haven't already as it is so stunningly written. I personally really enjoyed this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment