Wednesday 5 March 2014

Monuments Men: Review + Response

So the other day I went to see Monuments Men. It was mentioned today in recommended reads in the article about books you need to read before the film adaptation comes out this year. I haven't read the book but I decided to go and see the film because the premise seemed interesting. The film, however, fell flat of my expectations...

I've seen a lot of war films and each are trying to draw out some feeling about such a difficult time from a different standpoint. A film set during the second world war must do so poignantly and respectfully.

I'm no art connoisseur, more of a casual flaneur. I once found myself exceptionally proud that I knew a painting I'd never seen before was a Vermeer just by certain stylistic elements. The film follows the story of a historical treasure hunt based on true events: a group of art lovers go in search of certain works of art that have been stolen by Nazis. I expected the film to be more obviously poignant but it didn't strike the same emotional chord that films like Zwartboek, The Book Thief or Pearl Harbour have with me. This film was frustratingly unsatisfying. It felt so rushed. We weren't really introduced to each of the so called Monuments Men. It didn't really invoke a sense of empathy for these people. It's hard to figure out the exact tone of the film. Apart from Cate Blanchett's character Clare and one female character within the first five minute it's essentially all men. It's not too amusing. Everything feels rushed from start to finish and it focuses on a few art pieces and skips far too many key aspects. The characters don't each have any clear personal motivation for taking part in this mission.It's flat, without motivation, floating from moment to moment as if ticking off scenes from a check list. I am going to be boldly honest: I almost fell asleep in the cinema. In fact I might have for a moment. This film did nothing to keep my attention or capture my interest at all. If this was a drama, it's not dramatic enough. If it's a comedy, it wasn't comedic enough. This film was bland and I doubt I'd watch it again. My popcorn was more interesting...  I feel that this story was so promising and it deserved a better script, director and adaptation. Maybe one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment