Sunday 30 March 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: Review + Response

This is a book I'd seen so many other people talking about, particularly on Tumblr, and I just thought that I'd pick it up for myself. For ages I couldn't find it in stores but it recently popped up at my local bookstore and I could not resist picking it up along with Eleanor and Park. I swear, I'll go on a book buying ban... soon.

This is a beautiful contemporary coming of age story about two twin girls going their separate way when they go to college. One twin wants to be her own person, the other likes being part of a duo. It's a really true and interesting perspective on modern fandom culture whilst fitting itself neatly into the coming-of-age area of young adult fiction. It was a really enjoyable read. In fact, this was the sort of book that would make great holiday reading. I could imagine dipping into this by the pool side whilst on vacation. I may therefore save Eleanor & Park until the summer.

Buy this book if you've ever been called or considered a nerd.
Buy this book if you've ever read or written fanfiction.
Buy this book if you're a little bit socially awkward.
Buy this book if you ever went to university or summer camp or somewhere similar and felt a little out of place.
Buy this book if you liked The Fault In Our Stars or Looking For Alaska.
Buy this book if you're young.
Buy this book if you're a Potterhead because you will notice the subtle Harry Potter allusions.
Just buy this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment