Friday 12 December 2014

Thoughts from Bag End.

So today, as is my tradition, I woke myself up early so I could make it to the first showing of The Hobbit at my local cinema. I always see the first available showing. I went in, along with another sixteen or so movie-goers, and we watched. As the film wrapped and the credits began it was as if another chapter of my life had ended.

I've loved Tolkien's work since childhood. My Dad read the books to me as a little girl when we were travelling through Hungary. He did all of the voices for the characters. He read the 'Riddles in the Dark' chapter in the dark and I was filled with awe. My Dad then began reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy to me. When he was to busy, I'd read the books to him. I loved them. The movies came along and I fell head-over-heels in love with Jackson's vision of Middle Earth. Return of the King will always be my favourite film. My Dad took me to see Return of the King at a preview screening so I could talk about it in school the next day because he knew how much I loved it. We sat in the very front row and it felt as if the Rohirrim were leaping over us. It's one of my favourite memories with my Dad. I can still remember how I felt.

When I went to see the first Hobbit film I saw it twice in one day. Firstly, with my partner in 2D, and then an hour later in 3D with my friend Claire. I saw the second one countless times last winter. I'm sure I'll see the final one many times more. There were things about the final film that I didn't like. The thing that sticks out more is the heavy use of CGI. Billy Connolly in his role as Dain looked like video game footage rather than a credible, tangible character. I'd much rather have seen more practical effects rather than digital ones. I am still collecting my thoughts into a clear narrative from which I can construct a review/criticism. That said, when the film ended, and we were left looking at the map and realising that the film had so nicely gone full circle, I felt a hot tear spring from my eye. I cried in the first Hobbit film too: first, when we were shown that map I knew so well, and secondly when my favourite part, Riddles in the Dark, began.

I am so thankful to Peter Jackson and the entire cast and crew of both trilogies for making films that have shaped my life so much. I am thankful for the beauty of New Zealand which gave Middle Earth shape. It has been an emotional day. I was so sad when the original trilogy ended. I called it Middle Earth malaise. Then, at the announcement of The Hobbit films, I felt a soaring joy. Now it's over. We say goodbye to Middle Earth.

That round, green door is closed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment