Monday 29 December 2014

2014 Resolutions: How Did I Do?

A few years ago I wouldn't have made any New Year's Resolutions at all. This is the second year that I've made a list AND reviewed my resolutions at the end of the year. It is time where we examine what I said I'd do and what I actually did. Last year I managed to do pretty much everything on the list so I'm happy to review how I've done over this past year.

The writing in bold shows what I said I wanted to do and beneath I'll say if I actually managed to achieve it.

- I want to travel. It may be to somewhere far afield like New Zealand or just up north to Scotland. Either way I want to travel this year because holidays are soul restoring and I was born with an endless wanderlust. Over the summer I shall be travelling around Europe with my father. We'll be starting in Amsterdam so I'm very excited.

Well, due to financial restrictions my father and I didn't manage to go to Amsterdam over the summer. I had hoped to get away but my work hours doubled over the last few months of the year so I'm not basically working full time which, in truth, is what I wanted so I can't complain. I'm hoping next year will bring travel opportunities but this year sadly hasn't. That said, a cheeky tax rebate should bring me enough money to take me to New Zealand so fingers crossed!

- Keep writing. This year I want to either write a novel in 2014 or finish a film script or the pilot of a TV show and a few following episodes. I also want to continue with my second anthology of poetry and maybe seek publication for my first anthology of poetry. I'm now actually kinda happy that my poetry wasn't selected for publication because there's more work I want to do on the existing poetry in 2014.

Oh, I've written. The anthology of poetry has been added to and a second anthology is in the works. I've made a real effort towards finishing a novel. Sadly I didn't actually finish one. Let's hope next year does it...

- I want to work. I want to work whether it's in the job I have now or a graduate job or work abroad.  I want to work and to save up money for the future.

I got a job at the end of December 2013, the job mentioned above, and worked there for several months. I also applied for internships and graduate jobs and really put myself out there whilst working on my own work at home. Around the month of May I went to my first job interview of the year. I began looking for better jobs and internships that are more to my interests. After that I also started putting myself out there for things like competitions and scholarships that would somehow enhance or improve career prospects. I've saved up a lot of money over the past year and put it away for the future. I've had interviews for another job at the end of this year so it looks like I may get that job some time in 2015. That said, I've worked and saved up so much money for the future. Half of my earnings each month have been put away. I have worked my socks off. All of my end of year blogs this year were almost not written because I'm working an eight day streak from the end of December all the way into the New Year! I've worked and worked hard and the hope is that 2015 will see a career change for me. Fingers crossed....

- I want to get into photography. Even if I'm no good at it I really love the idea of taking photos and simply documenting life.

I sort of did this. I got an Instagram account and began documenting the little things in my life. I must be honest: taking the occasional selfie has actually sky-rocketed my self confidence. I had a day in May where my partner and I went out with a camera and had a mini nature photography kind of day which was quite nice. We ended up taking a lot of pictures of each other being cuties. This, however, involved an actual camera and some camera skills so... yay! I'd say my photography skills have come along a little this year. I've also totally upped my selfie game. I think I'll put together a separate post about photography in the year 2014 but yeah, this is a resolution I nailed. Pun intended.

- I want to start getting involved with music and actually creating some original songs so that I can maybe put together a small demo album. A few friends of mine have recorded their music and shared it with the world and I'd like to do the same. I've got some lyrics and tunes written out so we'll see where that goes. Maybe if I try to write at least one song by the end of the year. I think that's a good place to start.

This year I wrote a few songs and started actually planning out a rough idea for an album. I'd like to just record some lazy indie album one day really low budget. I know a friend who has done the same. That's the aim for the not too distant future....

- I want to get into vlogging. I've really enjoyed blogging so the next step is clearly to vlog on YouTube. I've set up a channel and I'd really appreciate it if you could subscribe and follow my journey.

I totally did get into vlogging. I felt a little hesitant at first. Something about talking to a camera seems awfully unnatural but I did it. I also got into making quick videos on vine to boost my online visibility. I've not done much but I've done something and that's good enough for me. I'm hoping to vlog more in 2014.

- I want to exercise more and maybe get back into swimming simply because I really enjoy it. It's a really relaxing way to exercise.

I did exercise, yes. I went to the gym a little, went on walks, lifted weights. I lost some weight. Life was good. I'm starting to look rather slim and sexy if I do say so myself. Then near the end of the year I got a gym membership and made real progress. I can run now! It's pretty darn exciting. My bad knee is so much better. I am losing weight, my heart and lungs feel so good and my skin is super clear. I hope to be a dress size smaller in the New Year but Christmas has put back what a few treadmill sessions took off if you know what I mean....

No comments:

Post a Comment