Sunday 10 August 2014

Review + Response: Guardians of the Galaxy

So, this review is a little overdue. I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy at a preview showing as soon as I could. I went to see it before the general release.

Peter 'Starlord' Quill has an excellent scene in the opening of the film where he dances around on an abandoned planet. See Marvel, that's how you do a dance scene in a film. Not like that other one in Spiderman 3 which we shall not speak of...

I've got to be honest. I now find the X Men franchise to feel a little stale. My interest in Spiderman had peaked. I like The Avengers, but not to the extent that I feel other fans do. I found myself with a serious case of superhero fatigue. Guardians of the Galaxy, however, I adored. The characters aren't really superheroes. They're all somewhat relatable or, in the case of Groot, adorable.

Lee Pace is utterly and spectacularly unrecognisable as Ronan. Karen Gillan is spectacular as Nebula from her character portrayal to the costume and special make up effects on her character. As a director, James Gunn seems to have had a lot of fun crafting this film. The characters are great and the movie is genuinely funny. This feels like a fresh new franchise that I can really be excited for. It's really good to see Marvel developing passion projects that they're excited about rather than churning out stuff that's guaranteed to be a success. Guardians of the Galaxy is perfect for people who love Avengers and also fancy some Star Wars vibes. It doesn't take itself too seriously and boasts some seriously cool set and character designs. The sound track is awesome. We ordered a copy after leaving the cinema.

Aliens and 80s music - what more could you want?

1 comment: