Thursday 4 September 2014

Silver Linings Search: August

Oops! This post is coming a few days late but better late than never, right?

Goodness, the year is literally whizzing past! I'm glad I've been keeping a record of the nice things from this year. I think I'll continue it into 2015. If you're a regular to this blog then you know the drill... I write down and document little positive things from the past month to remind myself that good things happen.


  • A few strangers said things to me that made me realise there is better out there for me and it really changed my perspective on things. It has pushed me to re-focus my aims and career prospects. 
  • I've been writing again and jotting down ideas whilst outlining writing plans for the next few years of my life. I really love having a plan and having ambition. 
  • I finished reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman this month and OH MY GOODNESS, YOU HAVE TO READ IT. This book HAS to be a movie. Soon. Please, world.
  • *cough* Also, Josh Malerman liked one of my tweets which means he knows that I exist.
  • Oh, and then I found out that a Bird Box movie is in the works. Thank you, Jesus!
  • We threw a great farewell party for an old friend. My partner whipped up a feast, spending the entire day cooking, and created a marvellous meal, including the best Yorkshire puddings I've ever had.
  • My partner and I had the opportunity to take care of the cutest, cuddliest little dog. Since my dog passed away in February I've missed puppy cuddles.
  • ANNE RICE READ MY FREAKING BLOG. SHE SHARED A LINK TO IT ON HER PAGE! ANNE RICE HAS BEEN ON THIS BLOG! Seriously, I'm still not over it. She's one of my idols as a writer and as a human being.
  • I went out and bought little random things like mugs, home ornaments, books, scented candles. Some are things for when I have my own home, others are for now. I do love a little bit of retail therapy.
  • I bought a ton of awesome books.
  • My partner and I joined the band Bad Pollyanna on their London leg of The Punishment Tour with William Control. Bad Pollyanna are a great band and are friends of ours from up North. It was so great to see them again. We offered to turn up and sell their merchandise and hopefully managed to make them some money. We also got into the gig for free. I hope William Control remembered me from out last meeting...
  • We rescued some lovely ex battery hens. We've been rehoming rescued hens for years but these are by far the worst we've ever taken in. They came to us practically de-feathered, their skin irritated and red. They're all coming along so well and, in time, I hope they'll be wonderful additions to our chicken community. 
  • One morning, my partner woke me up with breakfast in bed like when we just had started dated. Wonderful <3
  • I did a huge clear out of my room and got rid of some old clothes and stuff lying around. Clearing out old stuff sometimes can be really cathartic. 
  • In the cleaning process I managed to find some good MAC Cosmetics make up that I'd never used but put away last Christmas. Suddenly I had lots of good, expensive make up like a gift from my past self.
  • I met some rather heart wrenchingly wonderful people whilst at work. They opened up and told me their stories and really inspired me. I managed to give them gifts to take away with them. I know it won't fix the things they're struggling with but it was the least that I could do. Both encounters were truly humbling experiences. 
  • I set up a romantic Scavenger Hunt for my partner which lead us both around the places we visited in the weeks running up to the day we became a couple. It was quite cute and really romantic and reminded us of how much love we have for each other.
  • I finally met my partner's granny who was lovely and gave us her blessing. It was really important to my partner that I meet her grandmother and I'm so glad that I did. She's such a strong, loving woman who always marched to the beat of her own drum. These qualities, I feel, have been passed down to my partner. 
  • Two different people asked me out on dates. It was very sweet, and although I had to turn them down as I'm already taken, I found it all very flattering. 
  • I got to spend some quality time with my father. We went to see a lot of films together. I went with him to a football game. We took a tour around Camden. We went to an art exhibition.
  • My father and I went to 512 Hours, the Marina Abramovic exhibition. It was such a wonderful experience. If you want to see my review of it, it's up on The Huffington Post website. 
  • I started writing short stories again. Yay!
  • I received some lovely gifts from my family including some beautiful silver earrings from my cousin Wilma who visited all the way from New Zealand. I did feel a little bit spoiled and thankful for such a wonderful and supportive family.
  • I got callbacks for some jobs!
  • I've lost a wee bit of weight. I'm looking good. No, I don't feel that is a big-headed thing to say. I get to love my body and celebrate my progress. 
  • I started preparing for NaNoWriMo. I'm hoping I can get a novel done by the end of the year. I don't know why it scares me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment