Sunday 11 August 2013

Under appreciated films: Black Book (Zwartboek)


I recently got to watch a film I've been wanting to see for quite some time now. Based on a true story, Black Book (known as Zwartboek in Dutch), is the tale of a young Jewish singer who becomes a spy for the resistance during World War II. Featuring the wonderful Carice Van Houten in the lead role as Rachel Stein, this is a poignant and well directed film that I thoroughly enjoyed. It is a gritty, mature war drama exploring moral ambiguity, perseverance and the human desire to survive at any cost. Filled with violence and passion, both equally raw, this makes for an intense film. It is a thrilling tale of war time espionage that simply has to be seen. I normally avoid any war films but found myself enjoying this one. If you can get your hands on a copy I can almost guarantee that you'll enjoy it.

The Dutch have voted this the best Dutch film ever. You'll enjoy this film if you liked Pearl Harbour, Atonement, Schindlers List, The Reader etc.

I've always thought that Dutch is a really beautiful language. After all, it inspired Tolkien's own brands of Elvish. Van Houten delivers a truly dazzling performance from start to finish. In fact I think some sort of law should be passed that says that any film or show that Carice Van Houten is a part of, she must sing in as she simply has the most perfect voice. This is a hugely enjoyable film that I suggest you add to your collection.






No comments:

Post a Comment