Friday 23 May 2014

Francisco, you have my gratitude.

It's always important to remember the little things.
Those small blessings, those random acts of kindness, little things can make all the difference.
Yesterday a stranger showed me a little bit of kindness and it made my day much brighter.

I went outside to wait for the bus. I often go out for the bus way early because the bus service in my town is unreliable. Sometimes it comes way early, sometimes it comes way late. It's best to go out early. Of course, I went outside early and within minutes I was caught in the middle of a thunderstorm. The rain was heavy and there was thunder and lightning. It was scary. The horse in the field across from the bus stop came over. She seemed a little distressed by the weather and her owners weren't back home yet to secure her into her paddock. I stood with her as she came over for a cuddle and we waited together.

I got onto the bus when it arrived, late as usual. I had a £20 note to pay for the bus. The only problem was that it was a Scottish £20 note. In the UK it is legal tender and you can use it in England as currency. The bus driver, however, turned around and said that he would not accept it. I told him that other bus drivers have accepted it, that it was legal tender, that I had money for the bus like any other paying customer and the fault lay with him if he chose not to accept it. At this point he tried to tell me to get off of the bus. I explained that I had to get to work. I'd waited in the rain and thunder for about 20 minutes and that I had money for the bus. Everything was prepared. I explained that I'd run around looking for change around the house and that the £20 note was literally all that I had. He started driving saying that he'd drop me off at this little petrol station in the middle of nowhere and leave me to work out what to do. I explained that this would make me late for work. He was really rude saying that he didn't accept that money. I wondered if, since he is Greek, he hadn't encountered them before. I didn't want to be late for work because the next bus was an hour away.

Then a passenger stood up, walked over to the driver, and asked how much my fare was so that he could pay it. I instantly told him that I could not accept such generosity but he insisted. He said that, if he were in that situation, he'd hope that someone would offer to help. He was a pilot coming from the airport. His shiny name badge said "Francisco" and he and I paid for the fare together in the few pennies that we had. As I followed him back to the bus seats I asked if there was anything that I could do to repay him and he said that he just likes doing good deeds. He said he thought such acts make the world a better place.

By the time I got off of the bus, the clouds were passing and the sun was shining a little bit more. I was so thankful for this kind stranger and it reminded me how important it is to do nice things for your fellow human beings. Dear reader, when you're out and about over the next week, do nice things for people around you. Hold doors open for people, offer to help people in need and say nice things to strangers. You so often forget how much little things like that can really mean to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment