Monday 14 April 2014

Gig Review: Within Temptation @ Wembley Arena.

This weekend I had the delight of seeing the wonderful Within Temptation this weekend. I've loved this band for about ten years. It wasn't my first time seeing them live, but it was a brilliant gig. I almost felt 16 again, like I was young and newly in love with a band all over again.

I bought tickets for this gig about a year and three months ago. I bought them when I was a student, finishing my university dissertation. I bought these gig tickets with my student loans. That's how long ago it was that I bought tickets for this gig. Of course they scheduled the gig way ahead in the future but then the gig was rescheduled due to recording conflicts. I can confirm that it was well worth the wait.

Wembley Arena was filled and surrounded by corset clad women and band shirt bearing boys. There was a general buzz of excitement even though it was such a large venue. Within Temptation were supported by Delain, a band I'd heard much of from several friends but had never actually listened to. Delain gave a good, energetic performance. I'll definitely give them a further listen. They may even be some upcoming song of the day choices.

Sharon and the gang took to the stage with a brilliant set up, featuring two giant hydra heads, and impressive pyrotechnics.

The band played many songs from their latest album, utilising a large screen and recordings from those they've done duets with, and threw in some old favourites like Mother Earth, Ice Queen, Angels and See Who I Am. 

Sharon managed to pull off swift costume changes from leather corsets to sparkly party dresses all done in record time. Her vocals were crystal clear and from where I was standing the band looked like they were all having fun and really just enjoying what they were doing. Everything was smooth, well rehearsed and reminded us that these guys are true pros at what they do. This gig was a brilliant return to the UK and proved that the Temptation gang are strong as ever, each like a different head of the same Hydra.


No comments:

Post a Comment