Tuesday 1 October 2013

31 Horror Films in 31 Days: Day One, Hannibal

So to kick of the 31 Horror Films in 31 Days challenge I'm sort of starting with a film I've already seen but not for some time: Hannibal. I know, I know - I should be watching something I've not seen yet so as to explore the genre a little more but  I'm writing to you from my bed because I feel a little under the weather. I therefore had to resort to my DVD collection and this was the first DVD that jumped out at me. Hannibal is a tension-sustained gore flick about a man who likes people...for dinner. Surely most of you know the name Hannibal Lecter and probably the basic premise of the film so I don't need to provide too much of an analysis of the movie itself.

I've still not sat down to watch the recent TV show reboot of Hannibal (bar one episode I caught one night when staying with friends and I was unable to sleep) so I shall sit down at some point and give it a proper watch.

Last year I sat down and watched Hannibal Rising. Gaspard Ulliel - what a handsome man with a handsome name. He did an excellent job as a young Hannibal Lecter. He hardly had to do anything to send shivers down your spine. Anthony Hopkins, however, is of course so known for his role as Hannibal Lecter and his performances are utterly chilling. Also I'm a little bit in love with Julianne Moore. I suppose I'm pretty apathetic to the Hannibal film franchise. They're OK. I think you have to see them, at least just once. As a horror fan they're certainly a "must watch" but they're by no means my favourites or something I'd sit down to watch repeatedly.

Let's just say this wasn't the best film to watch on an unsettled stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment