Monday 12 January 2015

Annie: Review + Response

So I recently went to see 'Annie' in the cinema and, although it has received mixed reviews, I really enjoyed it. Perhaps I enjoyed it because I didn't like the original. In our culture we often fear remakes: will it piss on the memory of the film we loved? Will it do the story justice? So many hated this film because they held the original so dear to their hearts. I, however, had no beloved film to hold onto and I entered with low expectations. This film is a very modern, trendy version that has been jazzed up for the audience of today.

Quvenzhané Wallis plays a precocious and instantly likeable Annie. She radiates charm so effortlessly and as a child actor I wish her all the best with her future career. Whether she stays in acting or moves onto something else at a later date I feel that she has a good path ahead of her. She is so poised and full of talent and charm. An obvious appeal to this film is the reverse white-washing and to be frank I want to see this sort of thing more. The world is ready for a black Bond. We want to see The Doctor played by an actor who isn't white. We want diversity. We need it. We crave it. I so desperately want this film to show the media how to do it I think we just need open auditions or casting calls where anyone can audition and anyone can be considered for the part. Cameron Diaz gives an awkward performance as Miss Hannigan, though this is probably down to the character herself. As far as musicals go I actually enjoyed this more than Into The Woods. I loved all of the unexpected cameos: Rihanna, Mila Kunis, Sia. Sia's work on the soundtrack was most welcome.  It had such a quirky, modern sense of humour and the bit that made me laugh hardest happened in the first twenty seconds of the film. If you've seen it, you know what I mean....


No comments:

Post a Comment