Wednesday 24 July 2013

Review: The World's End

For my anniversary this year my partner and I went to go see The World's End. I fancied a trip to the cinema and we agreed on seeing this movie as it is mostly filmed in the town where my partner grew up. I've seen Pegg's previous films like "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" which I enjoyed but I have to say that this must be my favourite Pegg/Frost film so far.

The film focuses on a group of ex school chums meeting up after many years to finish a pub crawl they failed to complete on their last day of school. Brought together by hedonistic man-child Gary King (as played by Pegg) the unlikely group come together again for a spot of unfinished business as they return to their home town fo a pub crawl called "The Golden Mile" that involves having a pint at the 12 town pubs. Obviously there's a twist to the film that the trailers have sort of shown. If you've not seen a trailer for the film then that's even better. I urge you to avoid all trailers, see this film and enjoy it for what it is. Trailers give away far too much these days. The film brought laughs as well as a few really deep moments that really created audience empathy for the characters. I really enjoyed this movie and it has to be one of my favourite films of the summer so far. Also Simon Pegg with a pint in hand, dark dyed hair and a trench-coat over a Sisters of Mercy shirt suddenly became incredibly attractive to me.

I left the cinema with the desire to drink beer and listen to The Sisters of Mercy. Essentially I wanted to be me at age 17.


No comments:

Post a Comment