Monday 15 July 2013

Confessions: Trash TV.

I confess!
I really don't keep up with a lot of television. My family can watch and keep up with multiple shows at different times. Their Sky Box is forever recording episodes from here and there. I, however, only really faithfully watch two shows at present: Game of Thrones and Greys Anatomy. In between I have to watch something. Now, of course, you'll often find me tuckign into a movie or a documentary but I confess...I like a bit of trash TV as much as the next person. I like being able to tune into a show where I don't have to have a committed and up-to-date relationship. I need something I can just dip in and out of.
In fact I have many guilty pleasures.
Here are some of my favourite trashy things to curl up and watch:

America's Next Top Model

I don't know what it is about America's Next Top Model but it has this ability to make you instantly feel like a fashion expert.
"She needs to elevate her jawline so we can see the curve of her neck to sell the jewellery" is akin to things I've thought whilst watching this show when, in truth, I can't tell Dolce and Gabbana from Gucci.
I highly enjoy ANTM whenever it's on. Mainly for Tyra and her crazy antics. It's easy watching. You can pick a model to root for and see if they win.



How Clean Is Your House

How on Earth did someone come up with a show about cleaning houses that managed to actually gain popularity? Perhaps it stems from our desire to vicariously judge the hygiene of others by looking at their filthy, bug-infested homes.

This show is very systematically created from start to finish with each show following the same basic structure but, strangely enough, it's always a little interesting to see just how messy some people can allow their homes to become...





The Real Housewives of NYC/The OC

These are shows about women who are so rich they've forgotten how to make it through a social function without creating tedious social drama. It makes for very addictive viewing. Oh sure, a good deal of it is probably created for the show itself... but it's always interesting to see how the other half lives...


One Born Every Minute

I love watching shows about the birthing process. I'm always interested in hearing what people name their children as names are of a particular interest to me. I love One Born Every Minute because it gives an interesting feel of the people and relationships present.



Millionaire Matchmaker

Brought to you by the creators of the Real Housewives franchise, this show is also about people with more money than common sense. It's about a dating agency for millionaires. It's a show I'm still fairly new to but it's interesting to see how some of the dates play out and end horribly.



and last but not least...
Jeremy Kyle

Britain's answer to Jerry Springer: it's almost impossible to not appreciate the bizarre spectacle that is Jeremy Kyle.
From the bizarre behaviour of the guests to Jeremy's perpetual hatred of Facebook this show is, dare I say, a British classic (a word I use quite loosely) that has seemed to enter our collective British conciousness.
Is there really anyone in the UK who is not aware of the existence of this show?







What trashy TV do YOU watch?
Let me know in the comments section below or tweet me your reply.



No comments:

Post a Comment