Saturday 23 November 2013

Film Review and Response: A Knight in Camelot (1998)

After the Doctor Who 50th Birthday/Anniversary celebration I'm watching another kooky film about time travel: A Knight in Camelot featuring Whoopi Goldberg. This will be a bit of a raw blog with some collected thoughts at the end.

I've not seen this film since I was little. I had it recorded onto video tape. Then a sister was born and several of my films recorded onto tape were recorded over. I've not seen this film in so long. I only really remember the eclipse scene.

This film could arguably act as a subtle commentary on the colonial gaze.

Calling it "The Kablooey Project" because fuck science.
I like how this film gets straight down to business. Within five minutes she is in Arthurian England.

"My life depends on this...please?"
I know your feels, Whoopi. My laptop is my life too.

Whoopi Goldberg = master of sass.

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated," - wonderful reference back to Mark Twain there.

Well I enjoyed that. This is a really great family film. It features such a funny, intelligent woman as a leading protagonist. This would be a great film to put on for the kids around Christmas time. There is some swordfighting which makes for some slight peril but it's more comical than anything. This is a truly fun film with clean humour, silliness and positive messages for younger viewers. The ending has a very Doctor who vibe with Vivian and Merlin off travelling through space and time. This is perfect for young Doctor Who fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment