Tuesday 4 June 2013

Fitness.

Women are often hesitant to discuss their weight or admit that they have a problem. Ideas of body image are shoved in our faces on a daily basis. When we feel that we aren't 'perfect' it can feel a little soul crushing.

I'm admitting it now: I'm overweight. The truth is that I'm currently happier with my body than I ever had been previously in life. I'm comfortable in my skin. It's not something that came quickly, it just happened one day. I realised I don't mind my body. I like being curvy. I've made peace with my body shape. That said I want to lose weight for my health.

Several months ago I badly injured my leg. I tore the ligament in my knee and damaged the surrounding cartilage. I've also previously hurt both ankles not out of consistency, I just happen to be a little clumsy. Unfortunately having very frail, weak legs makes certain kinds of exercise a bit more troublesome, even painful. My hopes are that over the next month or so I can get back into exercise through weightlifting, swimming, waking etc. I'm now in the position where I walk to work every day and am on my feet, sometimes for an 8 hour shift, where I'm constantly on my feet and running around. I feel the aches in my poor ankles and my bad knee as if they're still not fully healed. I am, however, fully committed to the idea of losing weight. Though it may feel that my wobbly knee and creaky ankles prohibit me I shall do what I can to work around that.

So over the summer expect some more exercise and health related posts from me.
I'm now going to go and have a light and easy-on-the-knee run with the dog.
I hope you all have summer fitness activities planned too. Fitness and exercise is not just for weight loss but for the maintenance of a healthy body.

No comments:

Post a Comment