Sunday 8 July 2018

How To Put Together A Great Wedding Playlist!

So I am now a few weeks away from my wedding and everything is going full speed! Ours is a wedding made up of things my partner and I love. One of my biggest pieces of advice for any couple getting married is to be selfish. It's usually your money paying for the day - and it is your day. There are plenty of things we've done in our wedding that may appear unconventional. For one, we are not hiring a DJ. I used to be a DJ and I honestly cannot stand going to events and finding it has a cheesy DJ playing the same cheesy tracks he cracks out at every event. If I have to listen to Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners, I'll be the one running...to the bar.

On our wedding day, I decided I didn't want cheesy tunes. I used to be a DJ myself and there was no way I was going to let some stranger pick songs that just don't suit the mood. I decided I would DJ my own wedding. Now of course I want to be able to lie back and enjoy the day so I put together a playlist and a friend is overseeing the equipment, will bring it to the venue and set everything up and oversee the evening. I went through my guest list and asked people for their song recommendations. What song would be guaranteed to get them up and dancing? Then I added those songs into the playlist to make sure there were songs in our playlist sure to get different people there on the day up and dancing. I then peppered these songs throughout all the songs that I had personally chosen for the wedding day: songs that represent my partner and I, songs that hold memories with various friends or family members, feel good songs that have framed my life.

Initially, I tried so hard to please everyone and didn't keep track of timings and somehow made an 11 hour and 45 minute playlist for a 5 hour evening disco and then had the perilous task of going through and cutting songs out. It was like Sophie's Choice but I stuck to my guns and didn't delete any David Bowie songs from the playlist.

We made our playlist on Spotify and our friend will be using his equipment to play it for us free of charge. This saves us money but also our ear drums - I don't think I could stand a DJ cranking up some Justin Bieber on the most magical day of my life....

Shortly I'll post our full wedding playlist for those seeking inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment